PDA

View Full Version : amc 20 model set-up bearings

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

amx4410
02-14-2007, 07:14 PM
looking for some one to make up a set of bearings, that when you rebuild the rear end you can put the bearing on free hand, the inside of the bearing is 3" or 4" thousand bigger than the case hub and the big bearing on the pinion is also 3" or 4" thousand bigger, the reason for this is when you set-up the pinion with the right amount of shims for the depth and when you get you back- lash set with the right amount of shims, this will take about 3 or 4 times to do this and after you got everything done, you can take the set-up bearings off by hand and then you press on the new bearings and then your done. this is for us guys that do not have the depth adjustment tool. i hope you guys understand what i'am taking above, this is the old way of doing a set-up, thanks amx4410

tufcj
02-15-2007, 08:51 AM
I've made several sets. I have them for Dana 44 (early and late), Dana 30, Dana 60, and AMC 20. I just buy an extra set of new bearings and work them carefully with a hone until they are a slip fit. It's takes a while but it works. It's even easier if you know someone at a machine shop with a lathe.

Bob
tufcj

ironman_gq
02-15-2007, 02:08 PM
for the AMC20 you only need the pinion cup to be a slip fit in the housing as all the shims are outboard of the bearings on the carrier. The pinion shims go behind the bearing cup on in the housing not under the bearing. the carrier shims go behing the bearing cups in the housing also. There are no shims behind the bearings in the AMC 20 axle. :? Great design makes setup much faster and easier.

tufcj
02-15-2007, 02:30 PM
The trouble is that all of the master kits I've seen for AMC20s today include GM style shims. Those do go under the pinion bearing, and can be used.

If I'm setting up a 20, I usually go to Ratech ( www.ratechmfg.com ) and get OEM dimension shims.

Bob
tufcj

amx4410
02-15-2007, 06:34 PM
hi guys, thanks for the infor, need all the help i can get. amx4410

Bulltear Ad