PDA

View Full Version : Intake adapter

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

abdywgn
02-21-2007, 04:54 AM
to adapt small block chevy intakes.Also,a valley pan that could incorporate a breather/pcv system.Maybe two style adapters;one would be "regular" height,the second one would be "raised".Don't know if that's possible,spacers just thicker?Right now,I'd like to use something as mundane as a Q-jet w/stock intake.Later on,the old tunnel ram!Thanks,Bob

ironman_gq
02-21-2007, 12:37 PM
not sure but I think the SB Chevy intakes are much narrower and maybe shorter than the AMC intakes.

tufcj
02-21-2007, 01:23 PM
I would think that the adapter to SBC would take so much machining that the adapter would cost more than most available AMC intakes, not to mention that it would probably mess with the flow if the intake.

They make a Q-jet to square bore adapter if that's all you're after. There are also single plane, dual plane, air gap, dual quad, tunnel ram and cross ram manifolds available specifically built for gen 2/3 AMC engines (although the tunnel and cross rams are rare and expensive).

Bob
tufcj

abdywgn
02-21-2007, 03:57 PM
With the intake being narrower,with spacers it should fit.with thicker spacers,it would be taller and with the head ported to match,the floor flow of the intake port would not be used.Maybe good for reversion.IF it was as simple(ha-ha)as two plates,one for each head,and a valley cover plate,would it be feasable to do this instead of custom intakes?Isn't this what was done in Super Modified in the 70's(SS&DI magazine,yellow Camaro on cover).Sounds simple enough.One side of the plate matches the head,the other the intake,grind thru and an adapter.Just a thought,maybe it would stir up someone's creative juices.Thanks,Bob

tufcj
02-21-2007, 07:27 PM
MC has had some great ideas. Nothing wrong with making a suggestion to get some head-scratching started. Just being a Chevy old-timer with lots of small blocks under my belt, and knowing the difference in the engines, I can't see enough gain to spend the time in R&D.

My 2nd AMC was my CJ (1st was a 73 hornet hatchback that we made into a SC/360 clone). I mud bogged it with a healthy .030 over 304 that I routinely revved to well over 6000. Surprised a lot of guys when I lifted the hood and there was still an AMC motor there instead of a SBC.

Bob
tufcj

abdywgn
02-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Does a SBC intake flow enough to feed an AMC engine?Different styles are different numbers,but overall?Maybe an AMC engine is not so particular as to the intake feeding it because the heads flow so much better.My 340 Dart with an dual plane would pull great up to and probably past 6500,substitute a Tarantula and the power did not start till 3500.What seemed like a good idea to open up intake choices may not be needed then.Thanks for the info,Bob

Bulltear Ad