PDA

View Full Version : Intake gaskets!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

76-cj7
02-23-2007, 12:23 PM
I have a buddy who bought a CJ-7 off of me that has a 360 in it. When i had it i put an edelbrock performer on it and the kid had her a lil bit hott quite a few times :t: and sure enough the motor finally blew 111!!! .....but he had since put in another 360 and is trying to get the intake to seal on the new motor......it must have warped or something??? No matter what he tries the engine still seeps coolant from the upper pass. side of the intake and the valley pans just arent cutting it.......is there a regualr type of gasket that can be used instead of the stamped valley pan? :-|

jeepsr4ever
02-23-2007, 12:47 PM
You can cut the sheet metal valley pan gakset and run a racing gasket. The valley pan gasket helps keep the oil out of the PCV and carb. Engine vaccum will suck alot of oil if you dont have a baffle of some kind.

1980_Cj7
02-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Do you need to run both the valley pan and the baffle that rivets to the underside of the intake manifold?

The reason I ask is I am selling the OEM cast iron intake, but we pulled the baffle off the bottom and transferred it to our new Edelbrock Performer intake. I had another old intake, but when I removed that baffle, there is a hole rusted thru the one side.

I'm trying to come up with a baffle for the buyer of this intake, but if the baffle isn't really needed if you have a valley pan, I'll just tell the buyer not to worry about it.

AMX69PHATTY
02-23-2007, 07:56 PM
for reference the Valley Pan is Fel-Pro #MS 96011

The "Standard Style" AMC Intake Gaskets that I have are Mr. Gasket.
They are black fiber looking are marked part number 5844 on the package
and say "Ultra-Seal Premium".

There are NO silicone bead(s) on them though, just plain.

For Jegs, the part number is 720-5844 for the Ultra Seal material.

For Jegs, the part number of 720-800G is Standard material.

jeep_man_401
02-25-2007, 04:21 AM
I have been tossing the valley and running the composit Mr. Gasket intake gasket.

I then use a filter (push in type like off a valve cover) on the PVC valve hole in the back of the intake. I then take a PVC valve and run it line from the filler tube to the bottom of a carb...or carbs in my case.

I believe that this 'reverse system' works fine and the filler tube is tall enough to keep the engine from sucking oil. It may not be the best set up if a person is going to see water and mud above the intake though... :? simple, fast and works.

And a down side is he hot oil has direct contact with the bottom of the intake. But a guy could make a baffle or use the old one.

Bulltear Ad