PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting roller rockers

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

FullSizeJeeper
02-24-2007, 10:13 AM
I got the +.1 pushrods today, so I'm ready to finish off the valve train and button this engine up. I was wondering if anyone has feedback on adjusting the roller rockers. Sounds like the most accurate way is when the engine is hot and running (does not sound like fun) but I'd like to get as close as possible before hand to limit the mess.

I realize you need the lifter on the bottom of the cam lobe to find zero lash, and you want to adjust them with zero preload on the lifters. But how can you tell how far to tighten after the zero lash is achieved. Instructions say 1/2 to 1 turn. I've gone 1 turn and still have pretty loose (a noticeable sideplay) on idle rockers?

Goose
02-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Happily enough the AMC's oiling issues help out here.. unless you get above an idle.. the oil doesn't spurt out and bathe you in it like a Small block chev.

(Ahh the good old days.. clouds of oil smoke stinging your eyes thinking ah those little piece of crap clips couldnt really help that much could they?)

tufcj
02-24-2007, 02:28 PM
My answer to adjusting rockers when you can't use the GM style oil clips. It still splashes some, I need to add about a 1" raised lip to the lower edge to catch everything.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/tufcj/Jeep/valvecover.jpg

This is a bare 68/69 390 block, bored .030. The heads are 71 090 castings.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad