PDA

View Full Version : Alternator mounting - CSR water pump

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

javsst
03-05-2007, 11:34 AM
All -

Thought I'd ask in this section in addition to the Product discussion forum....

What is a viable way to mount the alternator when using a CSR water pump? The Bulltear bracket that I'm trying to use isn't
quite making it.

Part of the issue is when I try to position the alternator up high, then the heater hose water port on the pump ends up with less then an inch of space.

The way that it currently sits in the picture below, allows enough space to connect the heater hose as well as allowing the belt to line up and not hit anything.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n36/javsst/360pic.jpg

Thanks!

Steve

jeepsr4ever
03-05-2007, 12:32 PM
You might need a 90 or a 45 degree fitting for your water pump. CSR picks the plane they use for the water outlet so its not in a stock location. aLso looks like your in the hole thats near the outlet. Try another hole in the head.

javsst
03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Matt - thanks for the reply. I happen to have a 90 degree
that's going to be used for the remote oil filter plate, so I can try it out. I'll take another picture once I move it around.

Though I have a feeling, it'll be too close for proper alternator
adjustment. If I pick a hole higher up, the belt will hit the water pump motor. Wonder if I'll have to run an idler pulley of some sort! :)

CSR pretty much didn't have any recommendation other than I need to fabricate something for the alternator mount......

Steve

javsst
03-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Well, I ordered a 90 degree NPT to AN fitting, so hopefully
it will have enough room.

If not, I wonder if I can get a new port drilled and tapped in
the water pump body..... :)

Thanks!

Steve

javsst
03-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Well, the 90 degree elbow won't have enough room with the alternator right there. So my options are:

1. Have my machinist look over the billet body of the pump, and as long as it's a solid chunk of aluminum, drill and tap a new hole above or below the one exiting to the side, then plug the side exit.

2. Plug the side exit, yielding no heater. This isn't as bad as it sounds since the car will have street slicks and won't see rainy or cold weather. Car shows and cruises where the windows fog up a little on the way home or there, that's another story.....

Ah the price of street/strip :mrgreen:

Steve

jeepsr4ever
03-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Why wouldnt it fit? Did you screw it in all the way and then re-align the alternator?

Wait :mrgreen:

Wait :?:

Use one of the head holes you silly guy!!!!!!! DOnt use the block mounting stud hole :?: :?: :?:

Sorry it was funny in a inside kind of way. But in all seriousness please use your head holes for the alternator bracket.

javsst
03-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Matt,

:mrgreen:

Seriously though, I've tried it in both block mounting
holes as well as the three head holes that are available.

If I mount it in one of the head mounting holes, the upper
bracket will reach, but then in either of the three holes, the belt will hit the pump motor.

Using the two block holes available yields having the alternator within an inch of the water outlet. Plus that's with the bolt for adjusting the alternator belt tension at it's farthest reach.

I made sure that the fitting was in as far as possible. There
wasn't enough clearance.

I appreciate the ideas though.

One other possible solution other than major surgery to the pump body may be to find out the diameter of a mini alternator.
If it's small enough, it may provide the needed clearance.

Thanks as always!

Steve

jeepsr4ever
03-06-2007, 09:08 PM
DOH! You know we have sold about 50-60 of these units to people using the CVR water pump and all of them got them to work. I dont know if they changed the specs or not.

javsst
03-07-2007, 07:10 AM
Matt - that's a good question. I found out from another AMX owner that the CSI/CSR pump that he used had a plate that covered the timing cover cavity. The pump that I have is a newer design that did away with the plate. I called CSR and had that verified. The tech indicated that the design had recently changed. Wonder if they changed anything else in the design......

Thanks!

Steve

Bulltear Ad