PDA

View Full Version : 3 Speed to 5 Speed?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

The PIG Smith
03-09-2007, 07:33 PM
I've been looking at a '74 Javelin that is powered by a 258 I6 and a 3 speed manual.
I do not know what model three speed it is.

I have a nice 360 from a '78 Chief that is just begging to be dropping in between the front fenders, but I am sure that 3 speed would not hold up.

My question to the group, what 5 Speed would be recommended behind a mild 360?

It's my understanding that the I6 bellhousing should be work on my 360.

So, I would need a 360 flywheel, new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, etc...
Reuse the existing clutch release mechanism (mechanical?)
Adapt a 5 speed (T-5 from a Rustang?) to the AMC bellhousing
Modify the rearcross member
Change the length of the driveshaft
Install a shifter if one did not come with the donor. (Hurst?)

Sure, I could use a T10 four speed, but looking to upgrade

The PIG Smith
03-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Okay, my questions have been answered over at AMCForums.

Here is the posting:
3 Speed to 5 Speed? (http://www.amcforums.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1173541625)

Basically, a World Class 5 Speed from a Mustang will bolt up to a early 80's bellhousing from AMC cars.
AMC used a T4 four speed which shares the same bolt pattern and mating surfaces as a Ford T5.

76-cj7
03-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Hmm.. didn't know that.....but sry couldn't help ya....If its 2 wheel drive im lost but 4x4.....thats my specialty but i do hope to own a fine piece of AMC preferably an AMX!

The PIG Smith
03-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Hmm.. didn't know that.....but sry couldn't help ya....If its 2 wheel drive im lost but 4x4.....thats my specialty but i do hope to own a fine piece of AMC preferably an AMX!

I am in the same boat with ya. I am also a truck/4X4 fellow.
I do not know much about Go-Fast AMC cars.

I recently saw a '74 Javelin I wanted, but I decided now is not the time.
I would like to own a base model 71-74 Javelin to modify as I want, like a 5 speed or other HiPo parts.

76-cj7
03-11-2007, 08:53 PM
You think just like me about gettin a car. I want somehting not so special so i can do what i want and cut what i want with out the feeling of guilt.

Bulltear Ad