PDA

View Full Version : Help finding info about AMC 304

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

tomcatvet
03-11-2007, 06:01 PM
I have just (4 months ago) bought my first Jeep A 1985 CJ7 W/ AMC 304. All was well until a ticking started deep in the block, sounds like it’s from the passenger side. it don’t start until it runs for about 2 min. then it gets to the point that I feel it missing and loosing power from one if the cylinders. If this helps anyone with trouble shooting please let me know where to start. Also where can I find a book covering just this motor (how to rebuild and or repair)? Ive done some searching but its hard to from this ship in the Mideast (U.S. Navy). Any help would be great and will get me ahead of the game when im home.

76-cj7
03-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Hey congrats on your first Jeep :lo1l: but sucks the glory has faded away and now theres a problem :smile: ......Sounds almost like an exhaust mainfold leak??? That would sorta explain the miss and loss of power. Check all of your manifold or header bolts to make sure they are tight and also check your collector bolts. Oh yea.....Snap a couple of pics and let us see what this beast looks like! and give some specs!!! :!:

mwouda
03-11-2007, 06:48 PM
As far as engine info, Here is a haynes. I have had good luck with them. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Haynes-service-manual-1949-1986-CJ-Jeep-All-engines_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34224QQitemZ300 088123293QQrdZ1

mwouda
03-11-2007, 07:05 PM
If your not into Ebay, heres another http://www.innerauto.com/store/buy.php?make_text=jeep&model_text=wrangler&ml=cj7--003&year=1978&part_name=repair_manual&brand_name=haynes&make_code=

76-cj7
03-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Auto Doom ( auto zone ) sells the haynes manuals....but your best bet is this summer to hit the garage sales and get ahold of a good ol' chiltons. but the Haynes are good enough to get you in trouble....they are more or less a guide but the wiring diagrams help alot!

hugh
03-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Just so you know, the 304 was added later to your jeep. That year only had the 258 six offered. I have an 84 CJ 7 that I just put a 304 into and it developed a ticking sound also. It was the exhaust manifold gasket and turned out to be fairly easy to replace.

Goose
03-12-2007, 09:23 AM
The ticking sound could also be a plug wire arcing to ground.. (I know you wouldn't think it would be that loud, but it can be) just be carefull not to find the arc with any body parts you want to keep unmarked.

AMX69PHATTY
03-12-2007, 02:58 PM
There's a couple other books out there too.
An old one called "Performance American Style"
and another old one called "AMC Power Book".
and an independent one called 'BJ Builds an AMC", maybe on ebay.
Many of the AMC parts vendors have the PAW book.
Eddie Stakes at PlanetHoustonAMX has the "Power Book" and has it on ebay sometimes.
www.americanpartsdepot.com and www.kennedyamerican.com
and others would have the PAW book.

Bulltear Ad