PDA

View Full Version : When rebuilding a 360.....

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

1981cj7
03-15-2007, 10:05 AM
from a '77 Waggy, would you reuse any of the following parts?

Head Bolts
Intake Bolts
Cam & Distributor Gear (I can provide a pic if necessary)
Push Rods (if straight)
Rockers
Timing Chain Cover
Fuel Pump Lobe (not sure if the terminology is correct but its what drives the Fuel pump)

I am curious as to what I can reuse from the original setup. Please add and subtract as you see fit. I just got the 360 back from the engine shop on Friday and I need to start putting this thing back together. The engine guy suggested that I could reuse the head bolts as they are not the stretch kind. He said I could reuse the pushrods as well as long as they were still straight.

He did the following:

Block hot tanked
Honed cylinder walls
New rings
Crank turned
New main and rod bearings
New cam bearings
Reassembled block, crank, rods and pistons
Heads hot tanked and gone through
Heads milled for a flat surface
One of the valves needed a new guide
Reassembled heads
He also got me a full gasket kit (Victor Rienz)

I need to order some parts and so far I am planning on getting the following:

Assembly lube
New Summit Cam and Lifter set K8600
Edelbrock Performer-Link True Roller Timing Chain Sets EDL-7818
-or-
Summit True Roller Timing Sets SUM-G6618
HEI distributor
New Valley Pan
Oil Pump Rebuild Kit

What other parts should I replace?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Charles

1981cj7
03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Please help.

Charles

ironman_gq
03-15-2007, 12:28 PM
should be able to reuse all of them if they are not overly worn. especially check the timing cover oil pump cavity to make sure the clearances are within specs.

tufcj
03-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Sounds like you have it covered for a budget rebuild. All parts you listed should be re-usable. Like stated above, check the cover for clearance. I believe the oil pump kit comes with a new pressure spring. If not, replace that, and make sure the plunger and passage are clear of sludge and varnish (carb cleaner works well).

If the HEI distributor comes with a new gear, you may want a new gear on the cam. If you re-use both old gears, you should be OK.

Use plenty of assembly lube on the cam and lifters. Follow proper cam break-in procedures. Be sure to prime the oil pump, and get oil thru the entire system before the first fire.

Bob
tufcj

1981cj7
03-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah, this is definitely a budget rebuild. I need to save as much money as I can for the rest of the CJ.

Thanks for the replies, anyone else have any thoughts.

Charles

tufcj
03-15-2007, 02:24 PM
One other thing that I thought of is to have the rods checked for straightness, and the big ends resized. It's worth the money to make sure the big end is perfectly round on the new round journals. The new engine will live a lot longer.

Bob
tufcj

AMX69PHATTY
03-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Make sure the pushrods are clean and free of gunk on the inside.
Oil pumps thru'em up to the rockers and they can get sludge.
Soak in cleaner, then Compressed air can be blown thru'em.
Make sure all the little oil passages that feed the dizzy line up
and are burr free. Confirm burr free oil reliefs in aft cam journal.

76-cj7
03-15-2007, 10:02 PM
If you think about it......why waste the time cleaning your pushrods is they filled with gunk......Summit has them for around 20 bucks and if i do recall they call for the same part number for a small block chevy.......just a thought.

Bulltear Ad