PDA

View Full Version : KB354 Piston Installed Pic

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

82Waggy
03-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Here's what a KB 354 28cc D-cup piston looks like installed.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/82Waggy/401/kbinstl.jpg

They stick out about .0015" in my setup.

1980_Cj7
03-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Looks like you are winning. We didn't get our pistons in ours yet. At least we get a sneak preview of what they will look like.

So you're saying the higher portion is out of the hole about .0015, and the lower portion (around the perimeter, not the center dish) is just about flush, to give the .045 quench with the gasket thickness taken into account?

Lookin' good! So when do you think you'll have 'er fired up?

Ours is hung up in the balancing department right now. We're being told the shop's backed up on the balancing work.

82Waggy
03-17-2007, 06:07 PM
The quench distance is established on the raised portion of the piston that matches the flat of the head chamber - this sticks up above deck on my engine about 1-2thou as we took about .007 off the deck in squaring things up. The lower perimeter around the dish is considerably lower than the deck height, and the dish floor is lower still. My quench distance will be a little less than .045.

Hopefull I'll get the vehicle ready for installation sometime this summer.

Ghinmi
03-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Looks real nice! You're beating me too. I've got all the machine work done and all the parts to assemble the bottom end but it's just too darn cold to put it all together. Seeing what it'll look like makes me want to start it right now though. Gotta love those 354's. The shop even dropped some money off the balance job because of how little work they needed. Just wish they didn't have that darn chevy pin, otherwise I think they're perfect. Hope you have good luck with yours.

82Waggy
03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
So you're saying the higher portion is out of the hole about .0015?

BTW: If or when you go to measure deck clearance on your assembly, be advised that the piston will rock a little in the bore and change the elevation of the quench section of the piston. This scared me when I first measured it - elevation readings all over the place - until I realized what was going on.

jeepsr4ever
03-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Check that valve relief!

82Waggy
03-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Check that valve relief!

Ya! I don't expect valve clearance to be an issue.

Bulltear Ad