PDA

View Full Version : AMC 360 questions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

High5
03-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Hey guys,

I'm ballz deep in my tear down of the 360 I picked up and have a question about the cam I pulled out.

It has the number 3198 817 on it as well as CWC on the other end. Will this tell me anything about it??? If it's stock, I plan to replace with something a little hotter, I'm thinking of the Summit 8600.

Also, should I just replace the oil pump cover and gears since it's out??? What about the timing cover??? how do you tell when that needs to be replaced???

Lastly, do I replace the harmonic balancer now or will the stock one work just fine once cleaned up and painted????

Not looking for a high horsepower, high RPM engine. Just looking for a reliable torquey V8.

Thanks

tufcj
03-18-2007, 07:06 AM
That sounds like a factory part number in the cam. The summit 8600 is a good choice for off-roading.

Pull the pump gears out of the housing and clean it. Look for any deep scratches in the top, sides, and bottom cover. Also look for any damage to the gears themselves. Measure clearance from the cover to the gears. I don't know the spec off the top of my head, but someone will chime in.

It wouldn't hurt to swap the gears, and replace the bottom cover, or add a mid plate (both available at the e-store, shameless plug :mrgreen: ).

Clean the balancer. The rubber should be solid and not cracked. If it's bulged out, cracked, or missing pieces, you can have it rebuilt at somewhere like Damper Doctor, or buy a new one.

Bob
tufcj

High5
03-18-2007, 09:37 AM
I'll try and post a picture of the timing cover and oil pump cover and let you see what I mean.
Maybe tonight

Thanks
High5

Bulltear Ad