PDA

View Full Version : tuning the 360 Problems

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

wdwrlw
03-19-2007, 07:46 PM
this is the 2nd AMC I have rebuilt and installed. Had the engine running well on the top end but my Comp 270H cam was about 28 deg adv., had no bottom end. Comp Cams recommended around 15 - 18 I believe the last I called them. I wanted to improve the bottom end and degree it as they recommended.

Wife had a baby and things were put on hold. Now the weather is nice and I want to cruise. Fired the AMC up and idled good. Soon as I touched the gas it popped (backfired out of the exhaust pipes). Timming is dead on 15 degrees. I tried to advance it back to where it was 28-30 adv but had to pull the distributor becuase the vacum adv was hitting the coolant hoses. Now I can't getr to start. Engines dead on TDC and the distributor is lined up w/ #1 cylinder. I've done this before what am I missing?

jeepsr4ever
03-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Are you sure you have the #1 cylinder on the compression stroke? If not then turn the motor over untill it pushes lots of air out the spark plug hole.

wdwrlw
03-20-2007, 08:10 AM
I will pull the spark plug out. I have been going of the harmonic balancer and I read where original balancers can shift. If this has happened then that would answer as to why it sounded so good when adv. so far. and spitted and sputtered at 15 adv. Mother in law comes in today as we are expecting another. Not sure when I will have time to try this but man weather is perfect right now. Thanks and will let you now how it turns out.

Goose
03-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Umm dude, Just a not so helpfull comment.. You know If you spend more time working on your Jeep you will spend less time in the delivery room.. (I don't know why Wives do not see the appeal in a greasy disheveled guy but they dont) :!:

1980_Cj7
03-21-2007, 08:08 AM
March 19, 2007 8:14 pm:

Wife had a baby and things were put on hold.

March 20, 2007 8:10 am:

Mother in law comes in today as we are expecting another.

Did one twin not want to come out, or do you work really fast???

hotratz
03-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Maybe he's expecting another Mother in-law :shock:

jeepsr4ever
03-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Congrats Wade!!!

1980_Cj7
03-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Congrats Wade!!!

Yes, I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS. :new-bday: :lilangel:

wdwrlw
03-23-2007, 08:11 AM
:t:
Yeah you guys don't miss anything. :idea:

Wife had a baby and things were put on hold.
This baby came Dec 20th 2005. (This is why last year I did nothing, I was a bit busy. Then the weather turned hot then cold).

The next due any day. Thanks guys!

fifesjeep
03-23-2007, 08:54 AM
When I set my timing I normally pull the valve cover and and watch the rockers... Once the intake goes down and then closes I start checking for the timing mark... bring it to TDC and then I check my distributor etc... If need be I'll adjust by pulling the distributor and moving the oil drive a little and then it's a matter of dropping it in etc... I always go to where I'll have a little more swing in-order to adjust the timing without running out of room etc...

wdwrlw
03-25-2007, 06:08 PM
fifesjeep good idea. :t:

Well today I checked over the engine and everything I did seemed to line up just as I had it so I checked Vacuum adv checked carb and oil. Oil had a fuel smell to it so I didnt know if it could have sucked sraight fuel in some how but I decided to drain the oil and there is definitely somthing a miss. :dontknow:
the oil is kinda creamy as if a blown head gasket but it also smells like gasoline. :help:
so what would you do if it was your motor?
and could this be why it didnt fire up before

1980_Cj7
03-26-2007, 05:29 AM
Maybe you just got cylinder wash if you were cranking it a lot when it wouldn't start. I'd try changing the oil and then watch it to see if the foam and fuel smell reoccur.

mika01
03-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Bad fuel pump maybe? Just a thought. I had one go bad on me and turned out to be the reason it wouldnt start.

AMX69PHATTY
03-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Yeah, if the fuel pump diaphram gets a hole in it then it can get pregnant,
:shock: 111!!! er ......... uh ....... wait a minute .........
I mean fuel can get into the engine through where the pump mounts to the timing cover.

:mrgreen: :razz: =D>

Bulltear Ad