PDA

View Full Version : CJ5 P/S hoses

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

hotratz
03-20-2007, 07:10 AM
OK, I've searched two message boards now and still confused.
I've installed power steering gear and pump in my 76 CJ. The box is a Saginaw 76 and the pump is the correct one for a 1976 CJ5 with 304 V8. (according to Napa) Now, the problem is finding the correct hoses.
I bought a set of hoses that were listed for 1976 CJ5 but no matter how I swap ends there is no way these are the right hoses. The end fittings are correct and they are plenty long enough that I could cut, bend and reflare but my question is are there really hoses out there that just bolt right in? I hate to modify these if I don't have to.

I've read a lot about custom hoses being made but didn't 76-79 CJ's come with factory power steering? If so aren't there still new hoses out there for them?

Any body got pictures of your set-ups?

TIA

jeepsr4ever
03-20-2007, 08:16 AM
To my knowledge their were only 2 different power steering hoses for jeeps from 1972 to 1995. One had a flair end and the other had a O-ring end. Your saying that the hoses bolt to the box but not to the pump? One side is the return line and that should just slide over the end of a hose fitting and be held in with a hose clamp. The other is the pressure side and will need to be tightened with a *metric wrench. Are both of these not fitting?

tufcj
03-20-2007, 08:30 AM
I popped a high pressure hose a couple of years ago in Moab. I picked up a hose at the NAPA there. It did route differently than the previous hose. The old one ran under the radiator along the top of the pump, the new one runs along the top of the frame rail. Took a little figuring to get it in, but it did work.

The low pressure side I just built from the correct size fuel line tube.

Be sure to get pressure rated hose for the low pressure side, fuel line won't last long.

On mine, I also added a filter in the low pressure side. Fram makes a small in-line filter designed for transmissions. I can get a P/N if you're interested. I did that because I had a hose break down and ruin a pump and gear when rubber fragments lodged in the valving.

Bob
tufcj

hotratz
03-20-2007, 09:42 AM
To my knowledge their were only 2 different power steering hoses for jeeps from 1972 to 1995. One had a flair end and the other had a O-ring end. Your saying that the hoses bolt to the box but not to the pump?

The fittings are correct at both ends. The problem I'm having is the sections of steel line at either end of the hose are bent in a manner that interfere with the frame (at the gear end) and the back bracket (at the pump end) I just got off the phone with the supplier and verified what I ordered was for my CJ

I popped a high pressure hose a couple of years ago in Moab. I picked up a hose at the NAPA there. It did route differently than the previous hose. The old one ran under the radiator along the top of the pump, the new one runs along the top of the frame rail. Took a little figuring to get it in, but it did work.

Did you have to rebend it at either end to make it work? The one I have 90's out of the pressure port at the box up towards the bottom of the radiator and out towards the outside of the frame (over the top) but when it lays on the frame the fitting end isn't long enough to reach the port at the box unless I were to un-bend some of the angle out of it. Just seems like the frame is in the way. At the pump the section of steel tube seems to be way too long and the bends/offsets not quite right.

I think I need to look at a few CJ's with P/S and see if I can figure out what's going on. 111!!!

tufcj
03-20-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't remember any major tweaking.

Do you possibly have one of the HD steering box mounts? I've heard some of those mount the box a little lower than the factory mounts.

Bob
tufcj

hotratz
03-20-2007, 12:08 PM
No. I have the factory mount with my own booty fabbed stiffener system. (http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL83/533924/13230457/235322691.jpg)

hotratz
03-20-2007, 08:43 PM
OK, I did a little surgery on the frame and KINDA got these hoses to fit but it sure looks strange.
Anybody elses set-up look anything like these hoses?

There is no alteration to the hoses in these pics.....Yet

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL83/533924/13230457/239496649.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL83/533924/13230457/239496645.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL83/533924/13230457/239496643.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL83/533924/13230457/239496641.jpg

tufcj
03-21-2007, 07:09 AM
I'd shorten the low pressure line and zip-tie it to the other. Then rotate the high pressure as far from the exhaust as possible. The one I popped in Moab was probably 2" from the manifold, but the constant exposure to heat made it brittle, and it failed. Pretty spectacular smoke when that high pressure pump squirts oil on the hot exhaust. :shock:

Otherwise, those lines look just like the ones I have. You could gently bend the high pressure line to follow the bend of the frame. Looks like the bracket you notched is part of a non-factory bumper or winch mount maybe?

Bob
tufcj

hotratz
03-21-2007, 09:31 AM
I'd shorten the low pressure line and zip-tie it to the other. Then rotate the high pressure as far from the exhaust as possible.

Yeah, Exactly what I was thinking. There is actually another foot of low pressure line hidding on the other side of the pump res. Just haven't wacked it off yet.

Looks like the bracket you notched is part of a non-factory bumper or winch mount maybe?

No, it is actually extra material on top of the outside channel of the factory frame. This is what confused me that the hoses interfered here. I also thought it was odd that the line goes about 3/4 inch past the fame to the outside. Just didn't look like I got the right hoses. I'll probably bent the elbow on the return line a little to kick it over tighter to the frame and live with it now.

fuzz401
04-02-2007, 08:21 AM
how mine is
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/IMG_0555.jpg

there is some differtent lenghts in the hoses depends on who makes them

Mudrat
04-04-2007, 05:13 PM
And maybe put some split rubber hose over the section of metal line that rubs the frame??? Somce chaffing protection.

I'd shorten the low pressure line and zip-tie it to the other. Then rotate the high pressure as far from the exhaust as possible. The one I popped in Moab was probably 2" from the manifold, but the constant exposure to heat made it brittle, and it failed. Pretty spectacular smoke when that high pressure pump squirts oil on the hot exhaust. :shock:

Otherwise, those lines look just like the ones I have. You could gently bend the high pressure line to follow the bend of the frame. Looks like the bracket you notched is part of a non-factory bumper or winch mount maybe?

Bob
tufcj

hotratz
04-06-2007, 12:26 PM
there is some differtent lenghts in the hoses depends on who makes them

Yeah, Yours look like they were built in reverse of the ones I have. My pressure line goes over the top of the frame and has a much longer section of metal tubing than the return line has.
Looks like your return line is the one that goes over and along the top of the frame while your pressure lne is inside the frame like my return??

And maybe put some split rubber hose over the section of metal line that rubs the frame??? Somce chaffing protection

When I finally got it routed and shorted up I eleiminated any unwanted hose to frame interface. I was going to take a final pic but my freak'n camera is on the fritz now. :(:

hotratz
04-16-2007, 06:55 AM
O.K. This is how they finally ended up. With a little tweaking, bending and frame trimming I think these will work out.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL83/533924/13230457/245878318.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL83/533924/13230457/245878323.jpg

Mudrat
04-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Other than the front knuckles, that looks sweet hotratz!! :t: I like the different color fan blade (I went electric) :wink:

Any frame contact?

hotratz
04-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Other than the front knuckles, that looks sweet hotratz!! :t: I like the different color fan blade (I went electric) :wink:

Any frame contact?

No frame contact. I used ADEL straps to hold it off the frame.
If you're talking about the axle knuckles You have to realize I've never even driven this jeep other than aound my yard on 7 cylinders when I drug it home. I've only owned it for a few months so I haven't gotten to any axle upgrades yet. Any suggestions are welcome as I really know very little about these vehicles.

The progress pics are in the "My Pictures" link in the CJ5 album.

Bulltear Ad