PDA

View Full Version : accelerator stuck......now slight ticking???

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

BRAD ARTHUR
03-21-2007, 07:01 PM
I was driving and my throttle cable stuck on my hand throttle cable...bad thing .. tried to press on the accelerator but still stuck. so I paniced and took it out of gear engine raced over 5000 rpm....6000...???? don't know shut the ignition off.

its a 304 edelbrock timimg chain set and cam hei distributor

now everything seems to run ok but I here a slight ticking sounds soomthing in the valve???? pulled valve covers don't see anything. idles great starts good .. most noticable around 1200 -1500rpm's. what should i check out and what did i screw up????

thanks in advance.

jeepsr4ever
03-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Hey Brad long time no talk! Hey check to make sure it isnt a exhaust gasket. You can take a wrench and put one end near your ear and move the other around the motor and you will find the source of the tick.

fifesjeep
03-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Definitely start with the simple and easy... Exhaust gaskets etc... If that doesn't do it... pull the valve covers and use a hose or what-ever you got and listen to each rocker... Do you have the stock rocker assembly?...
Worse case scenario(s) (for the ticking noise)... rocker/valve stem wear... Very slightly bent or damaged pushrod... especially if you have the stock pressed-in tip pushrods... (Known to fracture/break etc).... AMC's have a heavy valvetrain and with that said at higher rpms the chance of floating a valve is greatly increased... (Even with an aftermarket set-up)... Also with poor oil drainage depending on how high of rpms and how long it ran at those rpms for you could've ran a lifter low on oil and weakened the spring... (Doubtful)... But, maybe something finally loosened.. who knows... Hopefully some of this gave you some ideas... Kinda extreme but... ????

BRAD ARTHUR
03-22-2007, 04:14 PM
mc i figured you forgot about me....

thanks for the tips. I ll check it out closer. what push rods would anyone suggest (non stock). I thought bulltear offered some valve springs at one time?? didnt see them in the store.
thankls Ill keep you posted.

jeepsr4ever
03-22-2007, 04:40 PM
I remember ya bud! Hey why not the stock pushrods? You bend a couple?

fifesjeep
03-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Out of general rule of thumb (For my ease of mind)... When-ever I change the cam to other than stock specs I always go with a one piece chromoly rods... Even though it's over kill... it takes a load off of the mind not having to worry about them.

Bulltear Ad