PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock Casting Sand

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

82Waggy
03-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Look what I found still inside an intake port of my brand new Edelbrock MPEFI manifold.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/82Waggy/401/csand001.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/82Waggy/401/csand002.jpg

Can you beleive that!

Clogged completely for a couple of inches.

Comes out easy enough.

Moral: CLEAN EVERYTHING!

jeepsr4ever
03-25-2007, 01:55 PM
:idea:

ironman_gq
03-25-2007, 09:53 PM
thought they were supposed to check everything and remove any casting flash in the ports! You figure they may notice a half pound of sand i there :shock: :(: . Good thing you looked most guys would have bolted it on and fed their new motor a good serving of "Break In Compound" to help the rings seat. :shock:

jeepsr4ever
03-26-2007, 12:03 AM
NO DOUBT

1980_Cj7
03-26-2007, 05:24 AM
You did send those pics to Edelbrock I hope. I'd be all over them. You'd better believe I'm going to be checking our Performer intake manifold we got from them before we put it on rebuild number 2.

82Waggy
03-26-2007, 07:19 AM
I did send notice to Edelbrock - no reply yet but this is the first workday since sent.

I have fiddled with this thing for several months and never noticed the sand until yesterday when I set it on top of my shortblock for some oogling and then flipped it over on the bench to install the PCV baffle. A couple of taps on the drive rivets and, hey, whats that crap falling out?

Luckily the sand did not dump into my freshly assembled shortblock!

PS: Here's the automated reply from Edel. Guess they have not seen the pics yet.

[Dear Enthusiast:

Thank you for contacting Edelbrock. Your email is currently being processed, and will be answered by one of the most comprehensive Technical Departments in the Automotive Industry. Your email will be answered in the order it was received. If you need immediate attention, you may call our tech line @ 800-416-8628, 7:00 am to 5:00 pm PST, Monday through Friday. For Motorcycle Carburetor inquiries, please call 877-888-7504, 8:00am to 5:00pm PST, Monday through Friday.

Any attachments received without prior authorization will be automatically deleted.

Thank you for your interest in Edelbrock Products. We look forward to assisting you.

Edelbrock Technical Department]

radamx
03-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Just seen the same thing with a efi intake for a chevy LS-2 it was a weiand.
Quality went out the window a long time ago.
That is why the engine builder is responsible for everything.
if the part don't fit he has to make it fit. :razz:

tufcj
03-26-2007, 09:36 AM
I've heard from a couple of guys that they knocked casting sand out of the water passages of the aluminum heads.

I would think Q.C. would be better. They should catch that kind of thing during inspection.

Bob
tufcj

BREK
03-26-2007, 09:45 AM
That probably added a few dollars to the shipping also :mrgreen: , it's a good thing you caught it before assembly.

Goose
03-26-2007, 06:41 PM
I bet diagnosing that "dead hole" would have driven you nuts....till the casting sand broke loose and "scuffed the bore" for you..

Many Many years ago I did something similar but my own fault. I shoved shop rags into the runners of an aluminum tunnel ram so I could bead blast the out side of it.. well long story short I missed one of the rags..It ran like crap for a few minutes ... then started spitting little red threads out the collectors.. #-o

It didnt hurt anything, I guess those Manly stainless valves really are tough. :!:

82Waggy
03-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Edelbrock contacted me and I just got off the phone with them.

I guess this caused quite a stir in QC and is moving up the channels.

It seems the process after casting includes an oven bake that turns the core sand into a white powder for easy removal. Mine apperently did not get cooked well enough to get this particular runner.

After casting and clean up, these sytems are then sent to the EFI vendor for assembly and are then supposed to be flow tested there. Guess this one missed that step, as well as final inspection prior to packaging.

Sounds like several people are going to have a bad day over there.

The also said they have only seen this once before in several years - used to be a problem in their FE manifolds due to long curved runners.

Not surprised it got missed in visual inspection as I too did not see it for several months due to the dark color of the sand and shadow so far up the runner - but obviously the guy that was supposed to flow test the thing should have found something wrong.

Anyway, they were very apologetic and sent me a free Edelbrock jacket for my trouble.

hotratz
03-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Well, right now would be the best time to buy Edelbrock products I guess.

1980_Cj7
03-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Call Edelbrock back and tell them if they don't send us all jackets, we're gonna spread the word about the sand!

82Waggy
03-27-2007, 01:45 PM
:!:

Bulltear Ad