PDA

View Full Version : Knock sensor !!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Goose
03-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Where in the @@@!!$$#$## is the knock sensor on a 4.0?? The book I have says on the LEFT side above the oil pan..(I'm guessing thats the drivers side under the intake and exhaust and I am not finding it.. now on the other side above the starter there is something black and square and sensorish looking but it doesn't look like the knock sensor they are insisting is correct for a 2000 wrangler..Some kind soul on the board already looked up a sensor for a 2000 wrangler and says it doesn't list one. Which I believe as everything else is wierd about this year..Coilpacks on the plugs, no distributor etc..

So am I going blind, getting retarded or is there just not one there?
:roll: :roll: :roll: #-o 8)

BREK
03-27-2007, 08:39 AM
There is no knock sensor on your wrangler :-| what are your issues?

Goose
03-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Well this is still the detonation issue.. It is bone stock , and some how this engine will ping like crazy under a load.. I am almost wondering if it is going lean somehow..in adtion to pinging the fuel mileage and performance are erratic some times 15 mpg sometime 21 same route every day sometimes it pings sometimes not..

I checked the cam sensor and the crank sensor (swapped them actually) cleaned the injectors and tuned it up. but the Map sensor on the throttle body hasn't been checked. Napa showed the 2000 as having a knock sensor which is what triggered me to look for one..

BREK
03-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm assuming you're not getting a check engine light? Your issue could be almost any sensor on the engine (including o2), or maybe the engine controller.

I know it sucks, but with all this computer controlled crap I would suggest forking out for a diag at your local stealership.

Goose
03-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I am afraid you might be right.. Cause there isn't a light and no diag codes stored.. SO obviously it must be fine right? Riiiiiiight.

BREK
03-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Not sure if it would show you how to diag your particular problem, but you could order from your local dealer a service manual ( same version our tech's use) for around $100

AMX69PHATTY
03-27-2007, 10:36 PM
What's the mileage ?
I would suspect the O2 Sensor if over 65,000 miles

Goose
03-28-2007, 12:18 PM
100,000 miles

1980_Cj7
03-28-2007, 01:05 PM
sensorish looking

I luv it! Might be my new most favorite-est term!

mrtazwrench
03-28-2007, 06:08 PM
I can't remember the exact year, but I was working with a 4.0 in a XJ there were some TSB's for fuel, and fuel injector issues, can't remember all the info, but if I dig it up and looks like it may help I'll post it.

Goose
03-29-2007, 07:13 AM
I am guessing this is either a fuel issue or something like the O2 sensor.. the difference in power is the giveaway.. I travel from 5280 ft to 9300 ft elevation every day. and when the power is down you can tell..

AMX69PHATTY
03-29-2007, 11:09 AM
As I understand the O2 sensor is the primary fuel mixture "determiner" and they can be "sensitive" to carbon build up. They only function in a narrow temperature range and have to heat up to like 700 or 800 degrees before they even start working. When started up cold, the ECU runs on a pre-determined fuel curve until the O2 heats up and kicks in. They can be checked with a multimeter for proper function I think but sometimes they're only like $30 or so, but they can also be pretty pricey. Saw a local ad where they were on sale at PepBoys.

Goose
03-29-2007, 12:08 PM
yea this thing is wierd.. I wouldnt have thought being built in/for Canada would make it that different.. but this truck has day time running lights.. as well as the wierd engine controls.

mrtazwrench
03-30-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure how yours would be set up, but some of this new junk does not compensate as you go up in elevation while driving, some of them need a restart at your new elevation, I think this is mostly on fords but being here in the flatlands that is something I don't deal with.

Goose
04-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Well to complete the saga, I began a scientific diagnoses of the problem (translation after 3 beers and about an hour staring at it like a chimp studying the space shuttle I unplugged, wiggled and replugged every sensorish looking device..) and presto.. no more pinging.. hows that for dumb luck.. 111!!!

ironman_gq
04-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Thats the only true way to diagnose a problem :-| Usually seems to satisfy curiosity and it only cost you a few beers which never hurt anyone anyway. :t:

Goose
04-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Well It just shows the old Computer advice is always best.. Reboot it!

Bulltear Ad