PDA

View Full Version : 360 rebuild running - BUT NO TRANNY NOW??

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

FullSizeJeeper
04-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Alright, I'm starting to wonder if this is engine is cursed. Well finally got it to fire and stay lit (had hooked the tank vent lines into the PCV, this was not a good idea), got it timed and running good put in gear and nothing!

It has a TF727 on it. I did drain about 3 quarts of ATF out of it when putting the engine in, because the tranny dipstick came unseated and started leaking. Had to pull, clean the o-ring and put it back in. I have a drain plug in the tranny, so not that big of a deal. I measured the amount of fluid I pulled out and put in same amount of fresh ATF

1) the Torque converter is spinning and all 4 TC bolts are tight.
2) the shifter is working properly
3) disconectted the kickdown
4) the fluid is very high on the dipstick, my gues is it is not going back into the torque converter.
5) I did drain the tranny cooler, I am almost positive I hooked the coolant lines back the same way, they are on oppisite sides of the engine.

Could I have vaporlock in the tranny cooler?, If there is air in there, may it be keeping the ATF from circulating through the tranny?

I've swapped engines in a FSJ 1/2 dozen times and never had this many problems!! But she sounds preety sweet now!!

J4GRAND
04-02-2007, 07:05 AM
You do realize that you have to shift the tranny to neutral for it to pump fluid through it? If you just leave it in park after draining it, it will not move. Also, do not try to drive with the kickdown disconnected. In addition to the kickdown, it regulates the internal pressure of the trannny and the shift points; running with it disconnected will burn the trans up quickly.

tufcj
04-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Dumb question, but did you check the T-case? Got me once :roll: , at some time during the work the t-case got banged into neutral. I thought it was the clutch.

Bob
tufcj

82Waggy
04-02-2007, 07:31 AM
The so called "kickdown" linkage of the 727 tranny MUST be connected to the throttle lever in order that tranny line pressure exists to function properly. It also needs to be adjusted properly.

727 Fluid level must be checked while in NEUTRAL. There is not proper circulation while in park.

Goose
04-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Also (and I pray that it is some of the other simpler things mentioned).. But when you stabbed the engine and bolted it to the trans.. the torque converter was in the tranny and engaged in the drive dogs on the pump right? it is possible to have it not lined up and bam you punch the front pump on the tranny out and it quits working..( If the T/C spun easy for you to put the flex plate bolts in it is probably fine). :idea:

FullSizeJeeper
04-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Well, pulled the tranny and had Chris Hansen look at it. After some sluthing we figured out what happened. The 74 motor had a T400 behind it. There was a sleeve in the end of the crank to match the TC on the T400. The pilot on the TF727 is .23 inches larger and would not fit in the end of the crank.

The result, the crank was pushing the TC into the transmission body causing excessive pressure and some serious heat, grenading the inside of the tranny in very short time period (less than 10 minutes at 2000 rpm to break in the cam)

So if you are switching a late model 360 from a jeep prior to 80 into a 1980+ drivetrain (TF727) - CHECK THE CRANK END and the TORQUE CONVERTER PILOT DIAMETER and save yourself $800 (the cost of a full TF727 rebuild!)

Live and learn!!

J4GRAND
04-04-2007, 07:23 AM
D'OH!!! You aren't the first and probably not the last to do this. I burned up a TH400 once when I didn't seat the torque converter completely.

Goose
04-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Damn sorry to hear that..

Bulltear Ad