PDA

View Full Version : oil pickup question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

webejeepin
04-12-2007, 09:52 PM
What should the gap be between oil pickup and oil pan? I'm thinking a 1/4inch. I only have 7PSi after warm up while idling. trying to resolve this problem. Engine has 1,000 miles on rebuild, but did not replace oil pump or gears.
From what I have been reading a pump kit and a nickel plated oil filter adaptor might do the trick.

webejeepin
04-12-2007, 09:53 PM
I have an AMC 360.

tufcj
04-13-2007, 07:13 AM
The pickup should have a factory plastic button, or some guys braze a 1/4" nut to the bottom, just to keep it off the bottom of the pan.

I'd try a pump kit first. Make sure the gear/housing clearance and the end clearance are within spec. It doesn't take much oversize to bleed a lot of pressure off. Also check the bypass plunger and spring in the filter adapter. The springs weaken with age, and the passage will varnish up, causing the plunger to stick open (carb cleaner works nicely to clean it up).

The nickel plated adapter, or the mid-plate are both good solutions to increase the life of the oil pump.

Bob
tufcj

webejeepin
04-13-2007, 02:20 PM
I appreciate the advice. My pump kit will be in tomorrow and i will let you know.

webejeepin
04-15-2007, 02:46 PM
I got my pump kit today. I removed my old pump and discovered my pressure relief valve was stuck. cleaned everything up and the new valve slides easy. I measured eveything and the gear to wall clearance is .002 and the gear end clearance is .011 with gasket. Anything else I should do before Installing it back in?

webejeepin
04-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Those measurements are with the old gears still in.

Bulltear Ad