PDA

View Full Version : question about cj and climbing

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

hugh
04-21-2007, 08:46 PM
I was out today with a couple of friends driving down some sand trails and then we found a sand pit with some nice high hills. After climbing about a half dozen hills, actually only making it to the top of a couple because the sand was quite soft and I didnt feel like airing down, as the jeep would lose momentum as long as it was in drive it was almost like the throttle was stuck open. As soon as I shifted it into neutral the revs would drop down to normal. Its an 84 CJ7 304, TF904/999 trans and it has a Holley 470 truck avenger carb. In one spot where I made it to the top I needed to stop because the crest of the hill was pretty steep and without stopping to check there was no way to see what was over the edge. Basically on that one I just turned the ignition off to stop the truck. Everywhere else including smaller hills, descents, ravines and the highway home it was fine. Has this ever happened to anyone here?

hotratz
04-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Sounds like you were sloshing gas from the bowl vent down the throttle body. The RPM decreasing when you put it in neutral may have been coincidentally at the same time you burned the excess gas. Just a guess :-|

Goose
04-23-2007, 03:08 PM
I would look for omewhere along the cable binding under torque..

Goose
04-23-2007, 03:09 PM
sorry throttle cable..binding with engine movement under load..

hugh
04-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks, I am going out of town for my employer for a couple of weeks and then I,ll look into it. Advise is appreciated.

Bulltear Ad