PDA

View Full Version : Headers for a 360 in a jeep YJ

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

questmann
04-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Anybody got a set of headers for my 360 that's going in my 88 jeep yj? Thanks.

Derek
Allentown, PA

mika01
04-24-2007, 02:18 PM
I hate to tell you, but I went through about 4 different sets until I gave up and installed the OEM manifolds. I was having mostly clearance issues with my external hydraulic slave cylinder. you may be able to use the Edelbrock shorty's or the Doug Thorley's.

questmann
04-25-2007, 07:13 AM
I wanted to do that but the damn egr bolts broke off in the manifolds and I can't get them out. any ideas on that?

tufcj
04-25-2007, 07:56 AM
I assume you mean the AIR tube bolts in the exhaust manifolds. I've got them out using a torch (oxy/acet, propane isn't hot enough). Heat to cherry red, then tap in an easy out, and they'll usually come out. Use an inexpensive easy-out, as the heat will ruin it. If you don't need the AIR tubes, you could have someone weld the ports shut, just find someone experienced at welding cast iron, so the manifolds don't crack.

Bob
tufcj

questmann
04-25-2007, 10:57 AM
well I got half of them out and the other half are now missing their heads. Could I just grind them flat and have the holes welded shut? I was also told that if I weld the holes shut I would need to have the flanges resurfaces or the manifolds would never seal, is that true?

Goose
04-25-2007, 02:21 PM
no thats not true..they make manifolds out of cast iron because it takes heating and cooling well.. now welding it is tough.. If It isnt done right they can crack.. but a welder who knows how can do it easily.. I have two sets welded that way.. they are fine.

JERSEYJOE
05-13-2007, 05:30 AM
This is true. An expert welder can do this for you. What needs to be done is the piece needs to be heated and then welded with a nickel rich filler rod and slowly cooled after the weld. If not done this way the cast iron will most likely crack just beyond the weld area. Might be easier to locate a set of non-air injection manifolds.

hotratz
05-16-2007, 11:57 AM
I just tapped the holes for 1/4-20 and plugged 'em with short bolts.

Bulltear Ad