PDA

View Full Version : 401 pistons - dish volume

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

debriga
04-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know the actual dish volume of the stock replacement pistons currently available? (brand and part #) Also for the Badger pistons? I am trying to find a way to set my static compression ratio somewhere between 9.2 and 9.5 to one in a 401 using 54cc chambers. What I have been able to find in either cast or hypuertetic (spelling?) is either way to high or too low. Plus, most of the replacement pistons available don't list the actual dish volume. Specs are really tough to locate.
This engine will seldom see in excess of 5000 rpm's, will experience LOTS of cold starts in a cold climate, so that is why I am trying to avoid using forged pistons. I don't need their strength, I just need a descent compression ratio for a good torque engine.
Also, does anyone know of a head gasket that is closer to .040 compressed thickness rather than the stock .046?
From my browsing on this subject, it seems the manufacturers have their heads up their as* in producing what a lot of people are looking for. AMC by itself left behind a small market, but add the Jeep line to it and the market increased substantially. Seems to me that these two groups should get together and flood them with requests for what we need. Perhaps one might listen and produce.
Any way, I am done ranting now, or so I think. Of all the engines I have built over the last 25 years I do not believe I have encountered so many parts availability problems as I have encountered with this engine. I don't mind paying for what I want, just give us all something that so many seek!! Sorry for the last ranting.

Dennis
De'Briga aka Ye Olde Engine Factory

AMX69PHATTY
04-26-2007, 11:15 AM
The Badger catalog says #P894 401 Pistons have a .300 deep dish.
So if one assumes a 3-3/4 inch diameter dish
diameter used should be halfway between the top & bottom of the dish

3.75/2 squared times pi ( 3.1416 ) = 11.045 cubic inches per inch

that times .300 deep dish = 3.3135 cubic inch dish volume

2.54 x 2.54 x 2.54 = 16.387 cc's per 1 cubic inch

so 3.3135 C.I. times 16.387cc/C.I. = 54.298 cc dish ! - wow !

Do you have the Pistons ?

May I ask the diameter of the dish at both the top and the bottom ?

1980_Cj7
04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Why don't you just use 58cc heads?

Bulltear Ad