PDA

View Full Version : oil/filter

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

1tuffcj
04-25-2007, 10:00 PM
dumb queistion, don't wanna screw anything up, if not to late. iv'e read some post on oil and filters. what would be a good weight and brand for hawaii weather and i read the post about filters, somthing about a flap or something i just took off my filter and it was a napa gold 1258, is this the right one. i'm trying to fix this headgasket leak ended up contamanating my oil so i'm gonna change it, before and after the cam and engine break in what type of filter and oil. thanks in advance. mikey

rollen dean montoya
04-25-2007, 10:51 PM
just my opinion but i would use 10/30 castrol to break in
your engine then after re-torquing all bolts that require
torque use 15/40 shell rotella-t if available or stay with castrol
10/30.i use the rotella-t here in apple valley ca cause of the heat. this oil is for semis but works great in gas engine cause it has more stuff to fight wear than regular oil.

runnamuck
04-26-2007, 10:40 AM
i second that and keep using the napa gold filters.

flaps = friendly local auto parts store

AMX69PHATTY
04-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Is that the Short NAPA filter, or the long one ?
When I bought long ones, I didn't see a anti-drainback valve in them,
so I took'em back and exchanged'em for the short ones
which have the anti-drainback flapper you can see around the outside holes.

1970amx
04-26-2007, 02:21 PM
I would definetely break a new engine in with 15-40 Rotella oil and a good dose of crane additive or GM EOS additive.

After break in I would stick with the same oil unless you want to change over to a good synthetic.

I am not familiar with the Napa oil filter so I can't comment on that. In my race car I use a Fram HP filter. The Fram HP filters are a great filter. Do not use a std Fram filter under an circumstances....they are junk.

1tuffcj
04-26-2007, 03:21 PM
I would definetely break a new engine in with 15-40 Rotella oil and a good dose of crane additive or GM EOS additive.

After break in I would stick with the same oil unless you want to change over to a good synthetic.

I am not familiar with the Napa oil filter so I can't comment on that. In my race car I use a Fram HP filter. The Fram HP filters are a great filter. Do not use a std Fram filter under an circumstances....they are junk.
in my other post about head gaskets in the engine forum i just repied. comp cam suggested the same thing about the engine and cam break in, 15-w40. i did find some rottela t at the checker store. what do you think about running that stuff after break in or should i switch to 10-w40 or 20-w50 and add the EOS. thanks mikey

Bulltear Ad