PDA

View Full Version : got to be kidding me......

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jpcjguy
04-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Hey all,

After installing the timing cover for the 2nd time, now it looks like I have a leak at the oil pump housing!! Very frustrating to say the least as I ordered it from bulltear pre-assembled so I would not have to worry about it......
Hopefully Matt will get in touch with me so we can figure out what to do with that. I will freak out if I have to take the whole damn thing apart for the 3rd time..... :(:

On another note, the damn jeep won't start. I am pretty sure I got it on TDC. Kind of tough to do by yourself as I can't turn the crank and keep my finger on the #1 plug hole at the same time. So I spun the engine until the #1 piston was at the "top" from looking in the plug hole and then went by the timing line on the damper in relation to TDC on the cover markings.
Let's say that she cranks and turns over, got plenty of "pops" and backfires but it won't catch. Any ideas? Am I alot farther off than I think with the timing?

Thanks,
Joe
(rookie engine fixer who feels like he is getting his a$$ kicked big time on this project) :roll:

1980_Cj7
04-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Sounds like you're 180 degrees off. Turn it over a full revolution until the timing mark lines up again.

fifesjeep
04-28-2007, 03:41 PM
I never use the finger over the sparkplug hole... I'd rather take an extra minute or two and remove the driver side valve cover and watch the #1 Intake valve go down and then close... then line-up the timing mark... Once you do that you'll be at top dead center on the compression stroke... then it's only a matter of dropping in the distributor and having the rotor point at #1 spark plug wire... After that... all that you're going to need is fuel, air, and spark... and she'll run.

jeepsr4ever
04-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Take your time when your timing and verify where the leak is exactly. Sometimes you can tighten the oil filter adaptor retaining bolts.

hugh
04-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Try removing or loosening all the sparkplugs, it should be easy to turn the motor over.

jmb79cj7
04-30-2007, 07:15 PM
I hold finger over hole and use a long screw driver to touch siliniod to turn it over, works for me.

Bulltear Ad