PDA

View Full Version : more #@$% valvetrain ?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

CJim7
05-05-2007, 11:36 AM
A few weeks ago i replaced some seriously worn rockers and pushrods.
All was well until about 3 days ago when i started noticeing an audible "squeak" which sounded like nothing more then a pulley bearing going out. The squeak got worse and i narrowed it down to the right bank....under the valve cover :(:
The last few days, it has gotten worse and i have lifter tap again.

Now, without pulling the valve cover, can you wizards tell me what the hell is going on? I have a funny feeling im going to find prematurely worn rockers and/ or pushrods again....(but why?!?)

Do lifters just quit oiling even if they arent stuck? I dont believe i have any stuck lifters....everything sounded great up untill a few days ago.

Anybody got any ideas on how to check if they are oiling without shooting oil all over my shop by running the engine with the valvecover off?

Im getting frustrated here :-|

Goose
05-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Well I have never had oil "shoot " all over on an AMC.. the rocker oiling isnt all that energetic.. until you forget yourself and rev it up. other than that I think disassembly may be the only answer..

Soylent_Green
05-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Checker sells a set of little splash-gaurd clips that you clip on top of your rockers when you have the covers off for just that purpose of not splashing hot oil on yourself. They have it in the tool isle.

tarior
05-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I cut the top off an old valve cover and bolted a piece of formed aluminum to the opening to deflect the oil. Without it, I had oil on the fenders of my Javelin.

Bulltear Ad