PDA

View Full Version : Early Cj tub to a 77 CJ

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Goose
05-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Any one know if there are any dimensional differences between a 62 M-38 (cj5) and the 77 model? I have a chance at a cheap 62 that has a new tub on it. for my 77 CJ5

tufcj
05-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Wheelbase on the 77 is 4" longer, and the frame is longer because it has longer springs. The early frame is straight front/rear, the 77 frame widens at the rear.

I've seen it done, knew a guy who put a flattie body on a 401/4speed 1976 or newer CJ5 frame. The frame stuck out a couple of inches in the rear when the rear wheelwells were centered on the axle. The front wheels were also a bit forward of where they should have been, kind of like a mud bogger.

Not a bolt on, but with some fab work, it can be done.

Bob
tufcj

Penguin
05-10-2007, 08:51 AM
It can be done.
The body length was at the fenders.
The tubs a very near in size, I put a 75 tub on a 64 frame.
Body mounts will be different.

runnamuck
05-10-2007, 10:32 AM
It can be done.
The body length was at the fenders.
The tubs a very near in size, I put a 75 tub on a 64 frame.
Body mounts will be different.

75 and down the tub is the same, in 72 they lengthen the fenders and hood to fit in the i6 in. this last till 75. in 76, a new model came out with different tubs, frame, pretty much everything was different.

Goose
05-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Ah well, I had a chance at a recently completed full tub body and paint job and a disgusted 225 v6 with 5:13 gears..(guy just couldn't understand why he couldn't make this 62 M-38 ride and drive like a "New Wrangler" ???) so I thought I might talk him out of it for a couple hundred.. but If there is going to be a bunch of fab work.. I would be better off just finishing my tub.(It's not that bad anyway.)thanks.

Goose
05-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Ah well, I had a chance at a recently completed full tub body and paint job and a disgusted 225 v6 with 5:13 gears..(guy just couldn't understand why he couldn't make this 62 M-38 ride and drive like a "New Wrangler" ???) so I thought I might talk him out of it for a couple hundred.. but If there is going to be a bunch of fab work.. I would be better off just finishing my tub.(It's not that bad anyway.) thanks

tufcj
05-10-2007, 01:21 PM
The 225 will swap directly for the later GM 3.8L (238 CI). That way you can get EFI and an even fire engine. Those odd-fires just never ran that smooth.

Bob
tufcj

Goose
05-11-2007, 07:36 AM
I drove this one and it doesnt run bad at all, (Ok it idles like a coffee can full of rocks) but he just doesn't get the "JEEP" thing..He wants to listen to the steereo and talk on the cell while driving a 1962 Jeep down the interstate at 70 mph..
I tried to explain to him the "Charm" of taming a primitive Jeep, you know, controlling the random lane changes and learning to co-exist harmoniously with the squeaks,rattles and spring poking out of the seat..
The really good campfire stories.. :idea:

Bulltear Ad