PDA

View Full Version : Try not to laugh too hard AMC/Jeep 2.5L

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

CoriolisSTORM
05-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Alright guys, I've got a TJ that has the 2.5L and in the future I'd like to do some things to make it faster. 120 HP DOES NOT cut it for me, even my CVT equipped Caliber runs circles around it. Anyway, I'd like to be able to pass or keep up with people while in the thing. Suggestions on what to do to this motor besides swap it out, shoot it or blow it up? I've read the Mopar book on it, but maybe I haven't read the right section, as I didn't gain much from it. What have you all done?

Dusty
05-08-2007, 03:14 PM
:razz:

fooldsinjected too so....... probably should first point out no 4 cyl jeep out there is going to be passing a v8 or even keeping pace with a 6cyl. but my suggestion would be a cam swap a small turbo and larger set of injectors with adjusable map sensor. keep pressure low but it will help you mid range
6-8 psi?

then the tranny raises concerns.

Then the next thing to do ........... start sourcing a 353 hemi out of a new truck attached to a nv4500 and a conversion harness. pass go & collect $200

Goose
05-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Yep I agree, forced induction is the only answer for the small cube motor.. sad but true.

CoriolisSTORM
05-08-2007, 03:53 PM
That's actually part of my problem, as I haven't found anyone that has used forced induction on this motor. The Mopar book said it was good to about 300 HP. (I'd settle for 200 HP ) :mrgreen: Do you guys know of a turbo that would work without a ton of work? I looked on Garett's (sp?) site and of course they do not have an application listed. I guess I need to do all their math formulas and see what I get.

BREK
05-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I looked in a 1997 mopar performance book, and all of the hot rod 4 banger parts have been discontinued ::cry:

CoriolisSTORM
05-08-2007, 05:03 PM
I knew they had, I've heard they show up on Ebay from time to time though. I heard they discontinued them when they went to the 2.4L engine. I'm pretty sure that somebody makes stuff somewhere that would work for it.

runnamuck
05-08-2007, 08:18 PM
have you seen these sites (problaby, just a quick google):

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/2.5Lpower.html

http://www.jpmagazine.com/howto/5472/index.html

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/engine/154_0703_jeep_power_upgrades/index.html

jp did an article awhile back about add-ons for the 2.5 in a yj, can't find it online right now. i'll look in the hardcopies and get back to you.

fifesjeep
05-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Just buy a 4 wheeler and put some saddle bags on it... and you'll be good to go! Simple fix. ie: Blaster/Warrior/Banchie(sp)... Raptor etc... :razz:

CoriolisSTORM
05-09-2007, 01:53 PM
I've seen all of the links but the bottom one. There used to be a guy with an AOL page that turbo'ed his '98 SE (like mine) and said he got pretty good results out of it, I cant find it anymore though.

CoriolisSTORM
05-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Just buy a 4 wheeler and put some saddle bags on it... and you'll be good to go! Simple fix. ie: Blaster/Warrior/Banchie(sp)... Raptor etc... :razz:
Only problem with that is I cant exactly drive it on the highway...

ironman_gq
05-09-2007, 01:58 PM
I think JP magazine had an article on a supercharged 6 cylinder and the company that made the kit also had one for the 4bangers i think, but I could be wrong.

CoriolisSTORM
05-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Rimmer did for a while, but they dropped off the map. Maybe I should give hesco a call? They're basically right down the street from here. (I'm in T-Town they're in B'ham.) Supercharging is WAY expensive, I could do so much more to it (and probably get more out of it) for the 3k that they want for a kit.

Soylent_Green
05-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah, if you're gonna put enough money into it to supercharge or turbo it, I think you'd be better off spending LESS money on a motor swap.

401 maybe??? :-|

Penguin
05-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Only problem with that is I cant exactly drive it on the highway...

From what I see, you can't your jeep either....... :?

Sorry just was in the mood to razz someone.

tufcj
05-10-2007, 09:47 AM
They just had this article in this month's JP Magazine.

Rimmer Supercharger for the 2.5

http://www.jpmagazine.com/howto/5472/

Bob
tufcj

Goose
05-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Actually would the swap to an 4.0 6 cyl be such a problem?? I mean truly for what you put into making the 2.5 make 200 horse you could drop the 4.0 in and be done with it.
The real question I have is do you get more than 20 to 21 mpg with the little 4 banger??
I am curious since with gas prices going up like they are, it might not be a bad idea to have a "Baby Jeep" around..

CoriolisSTORM
05-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Actually would the swap to an 4.0 6 cyl be such a problem?? I mean truly for what you put into making the 2.5 make 200 horse you could drop the 4.0 in and be done with it.
The real question I have is do you get more than 20 to 21 mpg with the little 4 banger??
I am curious since with gas prices going up like they are, it might not be a bad idea to have a "Baby Jeep" around..
I got 19 out of it when I drove it on a daily basis, best I've ever gotten was 23. I have a Dodge Caliber R/T that I use as my daily driver. I'm waiting on some stuff to come out for the new 2.4L World Engine as well! The one thing that makes me shy away from the engine swap is that the Jeep was my first vehicle, and I'm pretty sure some of you can relate wanting to keep it almost the same. (Power mods dont count in my head, an engine swap would change that I think)
edit: I hadn't seen the 2.5L specific link on the jp page, I've looked at the other one before though.

Goose
05-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Yea I can understand wanting to keep it original, thats a tough trick though, that 2.5 is going to be expensive to bump.. but If you spend the bucks anything can be done..(I just drove a buddies tuned EVO that I have been making fun of for a year.. I'm not laughing now..that little sewing machine motor makes some respecable power on boost..about 13 flat at 5000 feet.)
Of course a jeep is a bit heavier than an EVO but what the hey!

billw
05-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Try Avenger Superchargers in Colo Springs Co...719.594.4766....Google for web address...these guys know all the tricks for supercharging Jeep 4 n 6cyl engines. While it aint cheep, still the most HP per buck.l

hugh
05-28-2007, 05:36 AM
One of the guys up here just installed an Avenger supercharger in his 4 banger. Once he got it sorted out he really liked to be able to go faster on the highway, next thing he noticed was with liberal use of the skinny pedal gas mileage went into the toilet. After that he decided to upgrade his running gear because jeep designed the axles, trans etc for the 4 banger and it suddenly gained a lot of power. The easiest route is just use it or upgrade to a 6 equipped jeep.

CoriolisSTORM
05-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Yep, I've seen a few Avengers around on the 'net, and they look to be a pretty sweet deal. What about a turbo? Anybody know any formulas I can use or such?

Bulltear Ad