PDA

View Full Version : 1 peice oil pan gasket

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mycj7
05-09-2007, 10:57 AM
How about a 1 peice rubber oil pan gasket like the ones made for the 4.0L, for the AMC V8.

The 4 peice one just doesn't cut it when doing the oil pan with the engine in the vehicle (can you tell what I just finished fighting with)!

jeepsr4ever
05-09-2007, 12:12 PM
We actually looked into a nitrile piece but they wanted a 50K start up and stock fee. Rubber shouldnt be that hard to make. I will check on this as we progress here

runnamuck
05-09-2007, 04:23 PM
nitrile would be cool but man what a startup cost :shock:. waiting on the rubber info.

oh and mycj7, gorilla snot, yellow damnit, 3m weatherstrip adhesive, whatever you want to call it will be your best friend in this job. use a little to tack the pieces up on the block.

mycj7
05-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Yeah, was a pain in the a$$.

When I did my 360 it was nice and easy, of course it was upside down on an engine stand. This one was still in the 90 Grand Waggoneer (couch on wheels ;)).

I have searched online and haven't found anything. But if I did, I know I'd buy some for myself, and I know others that would as well.

We actually looked into a nitrile piece but they wanted a 50K start up and stock fee.

That is crazy expensive!

Figure there has to be enough of us AMc V8'ers out there to make some demand for it. ;)

ironman_gq
05-14-2007, 07:41 PM
When I did mine half the problem was getting the pan to go past the motor mounts!!

mycj7
05-14-2007, 07:45 PM
I had to notch the motor mounts on my CJ to get the pan on (while still in the vehicle).

No issues like that on a FSJ though.

Patf10
11-01-2007, 06:11 PM
I had to notch the motor mounts on my CJ to get the pan on (while still in the vehicle).

just did mine, and i had to notch just the passenger side.

but yea a one piece like whats avail for the 258's would be sooo much easier

76-cj7
11-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Just did mine tonite in my CJ.....gots a Milodon 8 qt. pan and had no issues to speak of.....all i can say is to make sure gasket surface is clean and permatex the gasket ends up on the rear main cap and timing cover and let em tack up so it holds.....then permatex the sides to the pan and then install the pan......easy as 1, 2, 3, why would you have to notch the motor mounts???? mine is perfectly fine

The PIG Smith
11-02-2007, 02:19 AM
I glued mine on with careful bead of black ATV.
I could not get a gasket locally and did not wanna wait for mailorder.
My 360 was also upside down on an engine stand.

I know about the dangers of getting a little ATV squeezed out on the inside and causing issues, so I was very careful and I want to think I okay.

woodfar51
01-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Just did mine on the old 76 j10 and had little trouble. Put little dabs of silicone on pan then gasket, let dry and she was set. Had to lift truck to get starter off because springs are worn but other that that no problem.

Mudrat
01-11-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm going to need and change the gasket in mine soon. The pan never did fit right when I rebuit this thing (had to rubber hammer it into shape) and still leaks around the edges. I have a FELPRO cork in there now with generous helpings of RTV on each end. The way the oil smear is under the HEEP the cork is porous and it's comming out of every where - and yes it's torqued to spec.

For mounts, I have the MOORE bomb-proof jobbers in there now, looks like the pan can come and go no problem.

RacerAMX70
08-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Rol Gaskets of Canada makes a very nice oil pan gasket, Hi-Per Blue Oil Pan Set OS5210HP

Bulltear Ad