PDA

View Full Version : squeeksqueeksqueeksqueeksqueek

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

CJim7
05-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey, heres a n00b question for you all. 8)

Whats a good way to locate a squeeky pulley without tearing everything apart? im wondering if there is something i can spray on one pulley at a time when the engine is running to locate the Oh-fending pulley. :-|

I know, i could take all the belts off and hand turn/wiggle each pulley.....but this sounds like more fun :!:

*im trying to rule out my rocker assemblies as being the squeaky culprit. Rather have a pulley bearing bad then to have to tear apart my valvetrain....again. :roll:

runnamuck
05-09-2007, 07:36 PM
pb blaster. use a nozzle so the fan doesn't blown it around to a pulley you're not checking yet.

CJim7
05-10-2007, 08:21 PM
well, it's not a pulley as i had hoped, it's definately under the valve cover.

Quiet upon startup and early running. As soon as the engine gets up around operating temp, the squeek starts up.....right under the valvecover. I dont really hear any lifter noise however....
It's so loud i can hear it going down the road at a pretty good clip with the hardtop off and all the windnoise and Swamper howl :roll:

82Waggy
05-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Is it a constant squeek or a pulsating one? If the latter, maybe you have a pushrod rubbing on the head or a valve guide that is not clearanced or lubed properly. Not much else under the valve cover that would squeal.

CJim7
05-10-2007, 08:54 PM
maybe you have a pushrod rubbing on the head or a valve guide that is not clearanced or lubed properly.

Hmmm...thinking back now, when i pulled the pushrods, one was worn where it was contacting the head.....For the love, i dont know what would cause that. All the pushrods were seated well within the lifter cups and nothing was twisted around with the rocker assemblies :-|

ironman_gq
05-10-2007, 09:52 PM
are you using larger than standard pushrods? or possibly longer? These things will cause the pushrod to follow a different path than stock and could rub on a rough casting. I would pull the cover and see which one is rubbing.

CJim7
05-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Stock pushrods.
After thinking about it more, it just doesnt make sense.....it only starts to chirp after the engine warms up. Im thinking theres some kind of oiling issue going on.
Would a lifter quit oiling even if it wasnt collapsed or stuck?

1980_Cj7
05-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Metal expands when it gets hot. Could be something that is clearing when cold, but interfering when it expands. Just guessing though. Good luck!

CJim7
05-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Metal expands when it gets hot. Could be something that is clearing when cold, but interfering when it expands. Just guessing though. Good luck!
Right. And im pondering that also, because as the engine wamrs up, i can hear the chirp develop quietly and grow in intensity.
Valve stem perhaps? :-|

82Waggy
05-12-2007, 05:41 AM
I would suspect worn valve guide from what you have described.

CJim7
05-12-2007, 11:53 AM
I think I'll just pull these heads and rebuild. Sounds like theres more going on then a simple rocker. :-|

CJim7
05-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Upon removeing the valvecover, i could tell immediately that some of the rocker assemblies arent getting oiled. I took them apart and they appear to be ok.
I ran the engine with the valve cover off to check oiling and there were only 2 or 3 rockers oiling. :-|

So now what am I looking at? replaceing lifters? Why would lifters quit oiling if they are still compressing and decompressing. Or could i be dealing with lifters that are stuck in the decompressed position.....that would account for the lack of lifter tap associated with a collapsed lifter. Is that possible?

82Waggy
05-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Is this a new build or high mile motor?

Tell us more about it.

Good oil pressure?

Possibly clogged pushrod(s). Pull them and look through them first.

Check if you can push on the lifter plungers with a pushrod.

If pushrods are clean and lifters are free, pull the lifters and look them over.

Lack of lube may mean worn lifters at the pushrod ends and lifters as well .

CJim7
05-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Is this a new build or high mile motor?
This motor is not a new build, transplant from a 77 J-truck. Previous owner claims it was rebuilt about 4 years ago with minimal miles since the rebuild

Tell us more about it.

Good oil pressure?
excellent oil pressure. Runs 70 when cold, 35-4- when hot

Possibly clogged pushrod(s). Pull them and look through them first.
Done and done again, they were all clear

Check if you can push on the lifter plungers with a pushrod.
Didnt have much luck with this, i'll try again
If pushrods are clean and lifters are free, pull the lifters and look them over.

Lack of lube may mean worn lifters at the pushrod ends and lifters as well .
The old pushrods were trashed at the rocker ends, the lifter ends looked brand new. The new pushrods were good and oily at the lifter end....dry up top
A buddy suggested squirting some carb cleaner down the pushrod holes down to the lifters and forceing some air through them with the compressor. Said there could be something clogging the lifter passages. :-|

82Waggy
05-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Sounds like some dirt has been in there clogging things up a while, probably from the rebuild process.

Pushrods being OK at the bottom end probably means they are getting some lube from the valley area.

Blowing up the lifters probably won't solve the problem. Even if it does manage to dislodge the dirt it will just get stuck again in something else (from there it goes to the cam and main bearings).

You could try a new set of lifters, or at least replace the few that are clogged - but treat the new ones like you are breaking in a new cam.

If it was my motor, I'd tear it down, clean everything like a fresh build, replace the damaged parts, and put it back together (not fun).

CJim7
05-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the insight, i really appreciate it.
looks like i only have 2 out of 8 lifters oiling on the right bank.
I guess i'll try replaceing lifters and see what happens.
Thanks again for the help.

Bulltear Ad