PDA

View Full Version : Lifter replacement

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

CJim7
05-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Getting ready to replace my lifters. Anybody have any tips or tricks? What about break-in. Anything i need to watch for inparticular.

Man...i sound like a newbie :roll: 8)

Goose
05-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Nothing special.. I just use one of the better assembly lubes or the one recommended by your cam/lifter mfr (I used white moly/lithium grease for years.. till someone told me it was bad? guess I got lucky on all those engines.. :mrgreen: ). then when you fire it you should let it run at about 2000 rpms for 10-15 minutes or so.. just dont let it get hot.

fuzz401
05-14-2007, 10:27 AM
I always use the crane cam assy lube comes in a round container

fifesjeep
05-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Are these lifters going to be used with a new cam? You can use a strong magnet to pull them out... unless the bottom is flared-out a little from wear.

ol' school power
05-14-2007, 07:24 PM
unless the bottom is flared-out a little from wear.
If they are then the cam is toast.

CJim7
05-14-2007, 07:38 PM
unless the bottom is flared-out a little from wear.
If they are then the cam is toast.

LOL...one catastrophy at a time please :smile: :mrgreen:
Im "banking" on the cam being allright. I'll know when i start pulling lifters.
Please God, let the cam be allright

Soylent_Green
05-14-2007, 08:32 PM
The Off-Road Gods are fickle and cruel, and as such, they seldom answer prayers. In fact, they revel in your dismay as your worst nightmares come true.

CJim7
05-14-2007, 09:06 PM
The Off-Road Gods are fickle and cruel, and as such, they seldom answer prayers. In fact, they revel in your dismay as your worst nightmares come true.
Oh crap. I forgot about that :-|

Goose
05-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Umm just curious, Why new lifters?? Or is this the plugged up lifter deal from another post (Ok yea I am too lazy to look it up! 8) ).

Anyway if it's not that I have replaced lifters on old cams and had no problems..then again I have had it bite me right where it hurts most.. So in my twisted little world.. I figure If I have it torn down that far..in goes a new stick too.

CJim7
05-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Umm just curious, Why new lifters?? Or is this the plugged up lifter deal from another post (Ok yea I am too lazy to look it up! 8) ).

Anyway if it's not that I have replaced lifters on old cams and had no problems..then again I have had it bite me right where it hurts most.. So in my twisted little world.. I figure If I have it torn down that far..in goes a new stick too.
Yep, that would be the plugged up lifter deal from another post :t:
I hear what your saying. By all rights, i should just pull the motor and do a complete rebuild.

Bulltear Ad