PDA

View Full Version : Starters & Flexplates - Old Style & Mitsu Style

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

AMX69PHATTY
05-17-2007, 05:10 AM
So I guess AMC started using the Mitsu Starter in 1988 right ?
Will they work on pre-'88 motors and flexplates made for the older style Starter ?
Or are the Flexplates also different between old style and Mitsu style ?

From other threads it seems the flexplates are also different.
They moved the ring gear forward, closer to the block for the Mitsu style ?

Was wondering because of the PowerMaster XS Mini-Starters offered.
The only show One part number available, #9515, for AMC/Jeep
but do NOT specify years of application and wondered if thay are made
for old style, Mitsu style, or both styles of flexplates.

:-|

BREK
05-17-2007, 08:38 AM
I run a powermaster ultra in my 69 amx, and it has worked trouble free for about 2 years now.

AMX69PHATTY
05-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Just my luck, The PowerMaster #9515 XS Starter I bought didn't seem to be working, so I called'em today and guess what, the one I got was one of a few that got out of thier plant with the WRONG GEAR on it, 11 teeth were it should be 9 teeth, and on top of that they DO NOT have any of the correct gears in stock and DO NOT KNOW when they will be getting more :roll: cause it's a specially engineered and manufactured gear for them.

8) what a bunch a crap man 8)

KEV
05-18-2007, 06:01 AM
I used a flywheel from a 79 360,knocked the weight off and bolted it to a 258 in a 87 YJ. This was to get the starter ring at the right depth to use the old($30)starter instead of the mitsu($100+). The YJ also has the TF999 in it.

AMX69PHATTY
05-29-2007, 09:25 AM
PowerMaster said on the phone I needed a 9 tooth gear to replace the 11 tooth gear that was on the XS starter I had. That the 11 tooth was incorrect for AMC, and after some "pushing" since they said they didn't have any 9 tooth gears on hand and didn't know when they'd be getting any, the tech guy said He found one and would mail it to me. So it shows up in the mail, and its another 11 tooth gear !!! So I call'em again, and the guy says it different than the one I have and should work, and he never said it was going to be a 9 tooth gear. The gear on my old original starter is 9 tooth.
So I'm trying to decide if I should return it for a refund.

Whata bunch of crap man. :(: :(: :(: :(:

tufcj
05-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Get a refund and buy one from Bulltear! :!:

http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_35

I believe these are the ones from CVR. I have one on my CJ and on my AMX, haven't had a problem with either. I think they're cheaper than the Powermaster too.

Bob
tufcj

AMX69PHATTY
05-30-2007, 05:12 AM
So I sat down with the starter and "new gear" in front of me and called PowerMaster again to tell them the gear they sent was the same as the one on the starter. So after being on hold for a while the guy comes back, apologizes, and says they sent me the wrong gear, that thier Bill of Material for the AMC #9515 Mini-Starter is still incorrect, and the person who pulled packaged and shipped the part to me went buy the BOM 111!!!
So he's still not sure if they have any of the 9 tooth pieces, but said he will locate one even if he needs to take it off of an assembled starter in stock, will overnight it to me, and apologized for the "confusion". Told'em they didn't have to go to the exspense of overnighting it. He is supposed to call me back today to confirm he found one and that it shipped out to me. Find it hard to believe that they still have not updated thier BOM for the AMC starter when they said the "mix up" happened about 18 months ago, and they said they sell 200+ units a year. Seems like there'd be a lot of aggravated people. So I guess in another 10 days or so I'll have another gear and hopefully this time it's a 9 tooth. Think I'll have it gold plated and mounted for display #-o Man I'll tell ya.

Thought about return, but already had paid shipping to me from Kennedy American, and it would cost more to ship it back, and was told I'd have to ship it back to PowerMaster, wait for them to credit Kennedy American, then eventually he would credit me. Since it's already in my hands thought I'd give it another shot at getting it to work.

Bulltear Ad