PDA

View Full Version : E85

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

hugh
05-17-2007, 05:22 AM
Saw a question posted up in Jeepwire and thought it might be a valid one. The new E85 ethanol blend that I think is mostly etanaol is starting to show up and will our older motors run on it and is there something we might have to do to retrofit them?

tufcj
05-17-2007, 07:23 AM
E10 and E20 (10% or 20% alcohol) ethanol blends will work OK in most gas engines. Older engines (pre 198?) that have rubber seals in the carbs may have a problem, since the ethanol will attack the rubber.

I wouldn't run E85 (85% alcohol) in anything but a modern fuel injected engine that is designed to run it. A carbed engine will need some jetting and timing changes, plus a check or change of the above mentioned seals. The high alcohol content will also have a detergent effect, and loosen any gum and varnish in the tank and lines, so be prepared for clogged filters and jets.

just my $.02

Bob
tufcj

Goose
05-17-2007, 02:10 PM
If you pump a tankfull of E85 into an older carbed engine.. you will be walking home..you need to jet way up to run 85%ethanol..the "flex fuel" vehicles have the ability to compensate built into the computer.

Bulltear Ad