PDA

View Full Version : Starter Grinding

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

clarance49
05-19-2007, 08:04 AM
I have a 304 with a T 400 ,the starter is remanufactured and the flexplate looks good no chipped teeth or abnormal wear once in a while it will grind when I try to start it but it will work eventually.Anyone had this happen?

Mudrat
05-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Is it frequently "once in a while" or once in a Blue Moon "once in a while"?

dirty Bendix not flying all the way out under power??

clarance49
05-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Is it frequently "once in a while" or once in a Blue Moon "once in a while"?

dirty Bendix not flying all the way out under power??
Since I have not driven it much I would say every forth or fifth time I run it.

ol' school power
05-20-2007, 05:38 PM
I have a 304 with a T 400 ,the starter is remanufactured

How long ago? Still have a warranty?

runnamuck
05-21-2007, 10:20 AM
loose bolts?

tufcj
05-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Try the easy stuff first. Probably a dirty/rusty bendix. Remove the tin cover on the side, clean and LIGHTLY lube the pivot and tips of the fork, then clean and lube the shaft that the gear sits on.

I've had the bendix stick many times before. Once when miles out on a trail, I had to leave the cover off and have someone manually push the arm while I turned the key.

I went to a mini starter, haven't had a problem since.

Bob
tufcj

Rhinolined360
05-29-2007, 09:21 PM
I had a starter problem with my 360 flywheel and my murray's bosch remanufactured starter, i think it was a mixture of loose bellhousing bolts and i didnt have a CLUTCH-ENGINE SPACER which actually shims the starter out as well as the trans and engine. I was to lazy to figure out what was wrong and eventually turned the flywheel into nothing. Just a hint murrays starters are lifetime warranty but you'll have to keep switching where your going because they "Get Smart" I went through atleast 15.

Bulltear Ad