PDA

View Full Version : Lifter update & a question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

CJim7
05-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Spent part of today replaceing all the lifters in the old girl. I gotta say, the Napa around here is awesome. I have yet to have to wait on parts, they always seem to have them in stock....AMC V8 pushrods, rocker assemblies, lifters, valleypan gaskets...back home it was always a 2 day wait while they ordered the simplest parts. (Sorry MC, had to get this done right now :sa: )
Anyway, the wife called a bit ago to ask if i got it all torn apart yet. I explained to her i was just putting the sparkplug wires back on a reconnecting the battery. Apparently, the shop that works on her rig isnt quite as fast as i am...but then again, im not being paid by the hour . She proclaimed her undying love to me, told me i was her hero, and hung up the phone :love7: :laughing5:
So, all buttoned up and tomorow when i have more time, i will do a cam/lifter break-in and check valvetrain oiling.

Which brings me to my question/confirmation: During a cam/lifter break-in, i run the engine at 2000rpm's for 15 minutes if i remember reading correctly....Anything after that? Stay off the skinny pedal for a while? or is that pretty much it :-|

82Waggy
05-21-2007, 04:58 AM
Use plenty of molly paste or equivelent on the cam lobes and lifter bottoms.

Use assembly lube on the pushrod ends and valve tips.

Add a quart of GM EOS oil supplement.

Give it 30 minutes at 1800rpm - do not exceed 2000rpm.

After the 30 minutes, change the oil and filter and use another quart if EOS. After a few hundred miles, lose the EOS.

CJim7
05-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Use plenty of molly paste or equivelent on the cam lobes and lifter bottoms.

Use assembly lube on the pushrod ends and valve tips.

Add a quart of GM EOS oil supplement.

Give it 30 minutes at 1800rpm - do not exceed 2000rpm.

After the 30 minutes, change the oil and filter and use another quart if EOS. After a few hundred miles, lose the EOS.

Hmmm...i only used assembly lube, but pretty heavily on the lifter bottoms. Dont tell me i have to tear this apart again #-o

The EOS oil supplement i haven't heard about....is STP oil treatment in the same catagory or are they two different animals? :-|

82Waggy
05-21-2007, 05:43 AM
Hmmm...i only used assembly lube, but pretty heavily on the lifter bottoms. Dont tell me i have to tear this apart again #-o

The EOS oil supplement i haven't heard about....is STP oil treatment in the same catagory or are they two different animals? :-|

Cam lube/molly paste is different than assy lube.

GM EOS is a break in oil supplement - dont know how STP compares.

Be sure to prime your engine good to get oil through the lifters and valvetrain.

Bulltear Ad