PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 inch space

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

420AMX
05-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Has anyone had a problem with a large space in the front and back of the block between block and intake. Block has had a cleanup (401) heads are Indy 401SRK's, intake is an Eldelbrock Torker. Port matching is right on but a large opening in the front and back is perplexing. Was thinking of machining a piece of flat aluminum to front and back to make up the opening. Anyone with idea's or has run across problem with answers. Scratching my head in Ohio. :-|

Goose
05-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Ummmm, this will sound dumb.. but you do have the rubber seals from the intake set in there right??

If they are in there and you have a 1/2 inch gap.. I dont know .

AMX69PHATTY
05-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Yeah a 1/2 inch sounds like a lot. Is it a Brand new Torker ?
Are you using a Valley Pan or Fiber Intake Gaskets ?
I always thought Edelbrock leaves intakes a little wide
so they can be machined to fit and sit between the heads correctly.
I would say the end gaps should be about 3/16" to 1/4" max.
It can be machined down to fit, remove the sheetmetal bottom PCV baffle first.
And make sure to tell them NOT to machine off the Baffle mounting ridges.
When I had a Torker machined, when the did the horizontal ends
guess the used a fly cutter and took off part of the Baffle mounting ridges
Had to have'em run a weld bead to build'em back up.
:(:

CJim7
05-22-2007, 03:55 PM
When i put my 401 together, i was real doubtfull the ends were going to seal correctly, even with the rubber seals. (Edelbrock torquer) The gaps were pretty good size, but it all sealed up just fine.

fuzz401
05-22-2007, 04:08 PM
with the indi heads that is not uncomon at all

jeepsr4ever
05-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Those heads always leave that huge gap. I thought someone was fabbing some aluminum spacers a while back. Might want to google it.

jeep_man_401
05-22-2007, 10:11 PM
The heads are taller than stock...thats why you get a gap. I went down to Menards and got a alum. U channel and cut it to fit. Silly cone it in place and or ad some small screws (10-32) and it seals fine. Parts will cost about $4.

jeepsr4ever
05-23-2007, 03:39 PM
420AMX Sorry I havent been able to respond to your pm's we have been swamped by racers and jeepers alike needing things last minute.

Bulltear Ad