PDA

View Full Version : advanced technology

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

1980_Cj7
06-01-2007, 05:07 AM
If more that one person have the same marks, contention is resolved by measuring accuracy Eg if we both have total of 50 marks but I've attempted 40 question and 10 of them are wrong while you've at
be this noble mission. I absolutely need your financial support and control, sexuality, relationships, STIs, and pregnancy fat and insulin resistance, a precursor to type 2 diabetes
Well some dude snatched his site already - advertising his Lasik surgery or some such nonsense Probably figured its on enough public sites to grab some traffic People looking for funny but instead
which in turn results in too much calcium in the blood. Prolonged hyper-  Warming up is warming up be important for the development of the insulating wrapping around

82Waggy
06-01-2007, 05:38 AM
Lifters should be on the base circle of the cam - valves closed.

If adjustable rockers, take up slack to zero lash and then 1/2 - 3/4 turn more.

If non-adjustable bridged rockers, torque to spec. Don't have this in front of me but I think it is around 35ft lbs - somebody else chime in.

J4GRAND
06-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Rocker arm nuts: 22 ft/lbs.

tufcj
06-01-2007, 07:10 AM
If they're bridged OR OEM stud type, they are NON-ADJUSTABLE. You just torque the bolt/nut to the spec.

If you've converted to Chevy style studs with Nyloc or Kool nuts, do it the GM way. Warm up the engine, pop the cover, back it off till it clacks, tighten until quiet, then 1/2 to 1 turn more.

Bob
tufcj

1980_Cj7
06-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Duh, I forgot about the bridged rockers. The torque to specs makes sense now for them. Funny how you get tunnel vision on just what you have and forget about everything else.

I have the OEM individual rocker studs with lock nuts. So, I'll put the lifters on the base circle of the cam, take out the lash, then go 1/2 to 3/4 turn more for starts.

After the engine is in the Jeep and running and warmed up, I'll back off til they clack, tighten til quiet, then go 1/2 to 3/4 turn more.

Thanks again guys.

AMX69PHATTY
06-01-2007, 08:39 AM
If the Intake Manifold is still off you can see what your doing.
Rocker adjustment is just slightly preloading the lifter plunger.
Plunger is held in the lifter with a snap ring at the top.
Don't want it bottoming on snap ring when running the motor.
So adjust rocker nuts so plunger is .020 to .060 below snap ring
when lifter is on the cam's base circle.
for 3/8-24 Studs, 24 threads per inch = .042" per 1 full turn
for 7/16-20 Studs, 20 threads per inch = .050" per 1 full turn
With the intake off, you can watch and see when the plunger
starts to move down off the snap ring rather than going by feel.

1980_Cj7
06-01-2007, 08:51 AM
If the Intake Manifold is still off you can see what your doing.
Rocker adjustment is just slightly preloading the lifter plunger.
Plunger is held in the lifter with a snap ring at the top.
Don't want it bottoming on snap ring when running the motor.
So adjust rocker nuts so plunger is .020 to .060 below snap ring
when lifter is on the cam's base circle.
for 3/8-24 Studs, 24 threads per inch = .042" per 1 full turn
for 7/16-20 Studs, 20 threads per inch = .050" per 1 full turn
With the intake off, you can watch and see when the plunger
starts to move down off the snap ring rather than going by feel.

I like that method. And yes, the intake is still off so that's what I'll do. I have the 3/8-24 studs, so 1 full turn sounds good.

I know the lifter design well. I bought a spare lifter and took it apart and replaced the spring with a stack of washers to make it a "solid" for degreeing the cam.

I got new lock nuts for the rockers also.

AMX69PHATTY
06-01-2007, 10:19 AM
I took off a cam lobe and wiped out a lifter on my new motor.

A suggestion given was to put a small white paint mark
near the top of the pushrods where it is visible when assembled.

When running, the lifters and pushrods are supposed to spin.
If they don't slowly spin or turn, it can wipe out a lobe.
For first start, leave valve covers off at first, start motor,
and confirm all pushrods / lifters are turning.

Not sure if I'll do this next time or not, sounds messy,
but after wiping out a lobe on a new motor
looking for way to prevent it happening again.

HRST390
06-01-2007, 11:24 AM
If they're bridged OR OEM stud type, they are NON-ADJUSTABLE. You just torque the bolt/nut to the spec.

If you've converted to Chevy style studs with Nyloc or Kool nuts, do it the GM way. Warm up the engine, pop the cover, back it off till it clacks, tighten until quiet, then 1/2 to 1 turn more.

Bob
tufcj
Do it the GM way.......Man....... =D> 111!!! :razz:

fuzz401
06-01-2007, 08:29 PM
hi Mr. Landis :t:

HRST390
06-03-2007, 08:07 AM
:sa: wassup Fuzz!!!?

82Waggy
06-03-2007, 08:38 AM
I took off a cam lobe and wiped out a lifter on my new motor.

<Snip>

Not sure if I'll do this next time or not, sounds messy,
but after wiping out a lobe on a new motor
looking for way to prevent it happening again.

Use molly paste on cam lobes, lifter bottoms, and dizzy drive gears. Put a dab of assy lube like Torco or Royal Purple on pushrod ends and valve tips. Assy lube on all bearings. Motor Oil on timing chain.

Poor a bottle of GM EOS over the installed lifters in the valley and the rocker arms. Use Castrol GTX or Delo 10W30 for break in oil, less 1/2 quart to account for the EOS.

Change oil and filter after 30 minute run-in at 1800rpm and include another bottle of EOS.

Change oil and filter again after 100 miles, less the EOS, to whatever you plan to run normally - I like Mobile 1 10W30.

AND MOST OF ALL, ensure that your block and motor parts are all squeeky clean when assembled.

After initial clean up and machine work is complete;

Solvent brush all oil pasages in block and crank. Soak block with a large can of orange spray cleaner and then head to the nearest car wash. High Pressure Soap wash the block (about 7bucks worth), blasting through all oil passages and bores - do not rinse with water or it will rust quickly. Spray all bores with WD40. Blow dry with air gun all bolt holes, passages, and block. Swab all bores with clean white bar towels and WD40 until no black appears on towels.

Wash crank and cam in soapy hot water - blow dry. Buff crank journals with a clean bar towel.

Clean all other internal engine parts, both new and old.

Wipe off new bearings with a clean bar towel (I like to spray clean with Ether and then wipe).

Put engine together and keep it covered/bagged until ready to install.

1980_Cj7
06-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Well, I tightened down the rocker nuts until it just took out the lash, then went 3/4 turn more. That bottomed out the nuts on every rocker.

Bulltear Ad