PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a part number for fuel level sender "sock/F

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepmonster
06-03-2007, 02:54 PM
I upgraded the intank pick up to 3/8" and now a stock sock wont fit, anyone have info on in tank socks to use when upgrading the size of the line? I might just leave it out all together and use a good inline filter with a pressure gauge between it and the carb. The particles that were trapped in the stock sock were small enough to easily be trapped by the traditional filter before the carb anyway, but I wouldnt want any crap clogging the line before it ever got there. :!:

jeepmonster
06-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Found a mopar part # for upgrading the fuel sender pick up filter to 3/8" from the stock 5/16". Should last a long time and increase fuel flow. Year One has them. 10.00 + shipping.

rollen dean montoya
06-05-2007, 10:41 PM
right on

Rogue Racer
06-06-2007, 05:47 AM
Panty hose makes a good strainer, too. Cut a piece and fold it so that 2-3 layers cover the end of the tubing and attach it with a hose clamp.

jeepmonster
06-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Panty hose makes a good strainer, too. Cut a piece and fold it so that 2-3 layers cover the end of the tubing and attach it with a hose clamp.

I am afraid to ask how you discovered that one!????? Not sure how long panty hose would remain intact submerged in gasoline, could get sucked into the line. Hey whatever floats your boat, but I think I'll pass on the panty hose. :lo1l:

Check out yearone.com, they have a big selection of tank pick up filters in 3/8" diameter that slip over the pickup.

Rogue Racer
06-07-2007, 06:00 AM
Hey, that's an o-o-o-l-d racer trick. Panty hose is made from premium nylon so it will last as long as the stuff those socks are made from and the weave is finer so it filters better. It is not as thick a material as the sock, so the reason for several layers. I have a fast street car (non-AMC) with a custom 1/2 inch pickup for the fuel tank I built 22 years ago that runs the same panty hose screen today as it did when I built it. Go back inside the box. :sa:

jeepmonster
06-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Hey, that's an o-o-o-l-d racer trick. Panty hose is made from premium nylon so it will last as long as the stuff those socks are made from and the weave is finer so it filters better. It is not as thick a material as the sock, so the reason for several layers. I have a fast street car (non-AMC) with a custom 1/2 inch pickup for the fuel tank I built 22 years ago that runs the same panty hose screen today as it did when I built it. Go back inside the box. :sa:

:-| It may be made out of the same material and be a time honored method of filtering the pick up but my concern would be the area being filtered/prone to clogging with debris would be relatively small(the diameter of the inlet 5/16,3/8, 1/2") compared to the area of a slip on filter (SEVERAL INCHES) making it more prone to clogging under certain conditions Thanks for the tip though, I like hearing success stories like yours with low buck mods.

jeepmonster
06-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Heads up on 3/8ths tank filters. I accidently cracked the end of the filter slipping it on to my 3/8 pickup. I used the opportunity to check out the inside, by peeling back the nylon and I discovered that although the inlet for the pick up is 3/8ths the Inner plastic pickup of the filter that the metal tube mates up with in the filter is actually 5/16ths, I am going to order another one and drill out the inside plastic tube in the filter so it is 3/8ths all the way through. Kinda hard to call them 3/8ths if the last 1" of the plastic tube inside the filter is still 5/16". Maybe the panty hose isnt such a bad idea after all :!:

Rogue Racer
06-20-2007, 05:31 AM
Another option is to buy one from the GM repop guys for a high-perf Camaro or such. It will slip over the end of a 3/8 tube.

jeepmonster
06-20-2007, 07:09 AM
The mopar one I bought did slip over the tube but the last 1" or so stops it-it wont slid on any further-because the last inch of the plastic tube in the filter narrows down to 5/16", the open end of the filter itself is 3/8ths but you cant get the metal 3/8" line all the way to the bottom of the filter. If you drill out the last 1" of the tube in the filter you can get the line all the way in to the bottom of the filter. I suspect that the same design is in all factory "3/8" filters-that is where the fuel actually enters the filter to feed the metal line its still going to be 5/16???

Rogue Racer
06-20-2007, 07:21 AM
I'm not familiar with MoPar stuff to know whether it is like the GM parts or not, but it does not sound like it is the same. Who knows wha the aftermarket is selling though. OEM GM has a bead near the end of the tube and the seal of the sock is molded to locate on that bead. The bead is not necessary though since there is no pressure against the sock.

Bulltear Ad