PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Mounting Pictures Needed

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

1980_Cj7
06-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Anybody have any pics of how the alternator gets mounted on a 401 with the factory York air conditioning? I'm pretty sure we are missing a brace on the backside of the alternator. We have the bracket with 3 holes and a window, and also the curved bracket with the adjustment slot. We were getting a lot of vibration when we had it running briefly on the first rebuild.

I know where there's a Waggie in a local junk yard that has a V8 with air, so I'm going to go check that out tonite and hopefully grab whatever we need off it.

Also, we have this fancy looking stud (about 5" long) that was coming forward off the passenger side head when we got the engine. It is hex shaped almost the whole length except for one little bottleneck area close to the end. It has an integral stud on one end, and is threaded to accept a 3/8" inch bolt on the other. It seems to line up with the top alternator hole, but is too long, and would push the alternator too far forward. Is this perhaps from a different alternator mounting setup, maybe without air or something?

fuzz401
06-04-2007, 09:36 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/fuzzgremlin/100_0003.jpg

sure that is not the P/S bolt ???

1980_Cj7
06-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks Fuzz. You had looked up all those brackets in your Service manual a while back for me, and I wrote part numbers down and drew some sketches, but don't know what I did with them.

Anyhow, we found everything we needed on that Waggie in the junk yard this afternoon. Cleaned the braces up, painted them, clocked the alternator case, got it installed, and...GOT THE ENGINE BACK IN THE JEEP! It was a pretty productive evening.

The setup we got has one extra short brace from a timing cover bolt to the back side of the mounting ear on the top of the alternator that that long bolt goes thru. Maybe yours has that too, it's hard to tell from the picture. That brace, and that longer one in your picture from the head to the lower part of the alternator are the ones we needed. The one we got didn't have that pipe spacer on the long bolt though like yours, so we just ran a nut up against the longer brace to pin it to the head.

Don't know what that fancy stud is. I'll have to snap a pic of it when I get a chance and post it here for identification. It's a really neat piece of hardware.

1980_Cj7
07-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Well we were not able to tighten the 6 1/2" long bolt that goes thru the top of the alternator and eventually into the head. We were using the bolt we got out of the junk yard Waggie with the same setup as ours. The bolt would just get so tight, then slip, like it was stripping. It was a 3/8-16.

Fuzz told us that bolt should be a 7/16-14, so we got one. In playing with my tap and die set, I found a 3/8-16 will smoothly screw right into a 7/16-14, and feel fine, until you try to tighten it down.

Anyhow, when we went to install the 7/16" bolt, we found the holes thru the bracket, 2 braces, and alternator itself were too small. We drilled everything out and the new 7/16-14 bolt screwed right into the head and tightened up perfectly.

My question is did they change the size of that bolt and the hole it screws into in the head somewhere along the line or something? I can't understand why we'd have to drill out stock mounting brackets, or why the smaller bolt worked on the old Waggie.

82Waggy
07-04-2007, 11:17 AM
My question is did they change the size of that bolt and the hole it screws into in the head somewhere along the line or something?

Yes, but I don't remember the year they changed.

Bulltear Ad