PDA

View Full Version : stumble

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

1tuffcj
06-13-2007, 01:15 AM
well i just about have the jeep running great, it's running now just won't go that good yet. had vacumm (8 inches) out of the vacumm advance port had to take the carb off and adjust secondary idle screw 1/2 turn in now theres 1 inch. the holley tech that should be ok, my carb came with a 25 power valve i have 17 1/2 to 18 inches of vacumm at idle and 13 1/2 in gear, so i have a 65 on it's way and a 10.5. i'm getting it at least i got rid of that vacumm at the vacumm advance. i'll keep you posted.

Rhinolined360
06-13-2007, 05:51 PM
what holley carb do you have/ what engine, i get about 17-18 vacuum at idle with my 670 truck avenger w/360

1tuffcj
06-13-2007, 06:11 PM
401 edlebrock heads harland sharp rocker roller's comp cam and i'm running a 670 truck avenger. at idle i have 17 1/2 inches of vacumm from the full maifold port and in gear i have 13 1/2 inches. did you keep the tock power valve in it. i had vacumm (8")out of the vacumm advance port, so i had to take the carb off and turn the flat head screw 1/2 turn in got it down to 1", the holley tech said no problem.

Rhinolined360
06-13-2007, 07:11 PM
The stumble I was getting was coming from initial acceleration, example accelerating from a traffic light , and a bog when i floored it. I changed the accelerator pump nozzle, its comes factory with a .28 and i change it to a .37. I found a nice article for you about this http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/holley_truck_avenger/page3.asp

basically this guy had the same problem. he used a .40 any higher you got to change the accelerator pump cam. I called 1866-goholley talk to some dude named ricky who seemed to be in charge of the truck avengers. He sent it out for free along with clear sight plugs to check the fuel level. I got them for free, make sure you do too! complaining is awesome and its covered under the warranty i believe.

Rhinolined360
06-13-2007, 09:23 PM
I didnt switch out my power valve, but if you wanted to check yours out if you got your carb in pieces your vac guage should read and hold vacuum (generally around 15 to 20 inches of vacuum). If the power valve is bad, no vacuum will be generated.

1tuffcj
06-14-2007, 01:53 AM
i have 17 1/2 to 18 inches of vacumm at idle, i already had to take the carb and turn the secondary screw 1/2 turn in to get rid of the vacumm out of the vacumm advance, i got it from 8" to 1" by doing that. so are you saying you did'nt even change your power valve, you just changed your squirter to 37. your symtoms are identical to mine,stumble off the line, then once i get going if i let off the and go to get back in it it bogs. i was talking with fuzzy and we decided to get a 31 squirter and a 10.5 power valve, i ordered that from summit. then i called the hollet tech the next day (monday) and talked to this guy who also passed me off to ricky, i told ricky my symptoms. and he told me to get rid of the vacumm out of the vacumm advance, to turn that flat head screw under the carb. and he told me to get a 65 power valve, he said nothing about a bigger squirter, whats up :(: and i had to pay for it by ordering again from summit, i'm pissed. so with all these parts i'm getting tomorrow, what do i do? use them or get another squirter (37 or 40) and forget the power valve. thanks mikey

Goose
06-14-2007, 11:33 AM
oops! see below

Goose
06-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Easy man.. Easy.. no biggie..the main thing you have to figure out is if you are bogging lean or rich.. (both will do it) so if you feather (pump the throttle )as you take off does it make it better?? or does it make it stall and hard to start. if it makes it better you are lean if it makes it flood and stall you are rich on the bottom and you can take some out of the accel pump arm by shortenting the screw on the spring... Carb tuning is a bitch there are no two ways about it.. you eyes ears and nose are your best tools unless oyu have one of those mixture gauges in the exhaust (like an o2 sensor but it tells you what your mixture is.)

Relax be patient and you will get it. and if Fuzz is helping you probably have the best help right there.. he seems pretty sharp to me..

Rhinolined360
06-14-2007, 02:59 PM
31 is way to small,vgiven that the carb comes with .28. I have a .37 and i think im going to get a , .40 instead. it took care of the problems. Changing it to .37 made a hell of a difference off the line and while flooring it. I dont know whose telling you to change the power valve but you might want to change the squirters first it only takes about 5 minutes and I did with the carb on the engine, though I drop pieces down but was able to get them out every time because the throttle was close. But really try the squirters before you move on to the other problems. Did you read that link I sent you?

Rhinolined360
06-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Oh and call holley and try to get them for free!!!!!!! It should warranty stuff. I was sent clear plugs and .32 squirters. I didnt want the .32 but they accidently sent them, and I was resent .37.

fuzz401
06-14-2007, 03:56 PM
37 or 40 squirters are real big they put a lot of gas in there I only have 35 in my motor and most likly have more cam and CR with my 950 holley

1tuffcj
06-14-2007, 05:38 PM
rhino i baught them from summit before i talked to the holley tech. so i talked to ricky this morning and told him what i have comeing from summit(today), a 10.5 and a 6.5 power valve and a 31 squirter. and he told me to try the 31 squirter first, them tell him what happened, and that if we needed to do anything else that he would send it to me for free plus some clear sight windows. he told me he thaught i might be able to get them quicker over here because of shipping would take longer from them. o yeah i read that artical, very nice, and fuzzy's the one who told me to change the power valve. judgeing from fuzzy's jeep and quarter mile time's, i think he's a good source of info just as everyone here. thats whats so good about this sight lot's of v8 knoledge.

AMX69PHATTY
06-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Should remove the fuel bowls from the carb and run a tap into the sight screw holes before installing the plastic see-thru sight plugs because the original Brass sight-screws "roll" the threads at the inner float bowl wall surface and can make it difficult to get the platic see-thru pieces screwed into the holes, and even harder to remove without breaking them.

1tuffcj
06-14-2007, 07:30 PM
thanks kevin i'll dew that, on a different note installed the 31 squirter and the timeing is still at 10 degrees and idle at 900 rpm. took it for a test drive and still stumbles ( big time) you have to pump the throtle then it goes. so i stop on the side of the road and the thing barely stays running, idle bouncing around 300 to 600. so i sit there for about 3 to 4 minutes and the idle goes up to about 800. you put it in gear and it almost dies, so i pull back in my driveway and i'm in gear and it dies. go to restart it, and it wont start turns over strong. it's not the battery or the starter, both are brand new. it's something else, please help, i'm getting discouraged. a carb can ruin a ground up build!!!!!! :smile:

1980_Cj7
06-14-2007, 08:28 PM
o yeah i read that artical, very nice, and fuzzy's the one who told me to change the power valve. judgeing from fuzzy's jeep and quarter mile time's, i think he's a good source of info just as everyone here.

Yeah, but that 1050 cfm Dominator on top of Fuzz's engine is the size of a small refinery!

Ever notice that when Fuzz isn't away for the weekend at the drags, the price of gas drops due to the surplus in the market?

Rhinolined360
06-14-2007, 11:03 PM
are all your ports that use vacuum in use and or pluged besides the choke one?

1tuffcj
06-15-2007, 12:00 AM
i'm useing the one for my power brakes back by the seconary pump, and the one big one up front passenger side for the pcv valve back to the rear of the intake, and the little one next to that one i have pluged, witch is my full manifold . vacumm, and then there's the one on the metering block for the vacumm advance. so after todays test drive, i let it cool down and take the carb off so i could try a different power valve. and this is what i found inside the bowl and the metering block :-| , i don't know, does'nt look normal. i'm gonna call ricky tomorrow and tell him what i found. anybody see this before.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k161/blob_04/Picture013-1.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k161/blob_04/Picture015-1.jpg

AMX69PHATTY
06-15-2007, 05:03 AM
Whatever it is it doesn't look right.
White "rust" from water in the gas, or "junk" in the fuel tank and lines ? Teflon Tape ?
There are small passages that it could cause problems with that's for sure.
And the blue gasket in the center where it is thin is messed up and wasn't sealing where it sags.
Was the seconday bowl also removed and contained the same ?

:idea: :-|

fuzz401
06-15-2007, 05:28 AM
thats not good it looks like that carb has gas sitting in it for a long time and left corosion in it

fuzz401
06-15-2007, 05:30 AM
it is not that big
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/IMG_0870.jpg

to this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/IMG_0838.jpg

AMX69PHATTY
06-15-2007, 05:38 AM
:shock: :crazyeyes: :tongue3:

Rhinolined360
06-15-2007, 10:01 AM
i like the look of all those colors on that double pumper

1tuffcj
06-15-2007, 12:21 PM
alright just got off the phone with holley tech (ricky's out sick today). described to the guy what it looks like inside, he said they had some casting issue a while back. anyway there gonna send a new carb out today, they sai to hold on to the one i have, and he'll check but they "might just have me take a hammer to it"

fuzz401
06-15-2007, 01:02 PM
thats what I said they do send a new one out =D>

Rhinolined360
06-15-2007, 01:12 PM
THATS AWESOME! fix it it up and sell it or use it for parts or sell the parts!

1tuffcj
06-15-2007, 01:13 PM
:? =D> =D> when your right fuzzy your right

ironman_gq
06-15-2007, 01:51 PM
looked a lot like styrofoam beads in there. Definately not a good thing but if ur getting a new carb out of the deal I'd be pretty happy myself. :lo1l:

1980_Cj7
06-15-2007, 02:07 PM
[quote="fuzz401"]it is not that big
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/IMG_0870.jpg

You need to have Mrs. Fuzz sit in one of the venturis, and your daughters in two other ones to put some scale to that picture!

Bulltear Ad