PDA

View Full Version : Oil Coolers

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

keparrott
06-20-2007, 07:44 AM
I have a 77 CJ7 with a 360 in Arizona. I pull a 2800lb camping trailer. Needless to say, I have a concern with engine temps :angryfire:during the Summer. When Climbing the engine temps reach 215. Oil Presure drops to 47lbs and RPM's @ 2800. I have a 4 row radiator and a 180* thermostat.
My question. Would an Oil Cooler help much? (a lot or a little) If an Oil cooler would help. Can you recommend a good cooler and the best way to may the conversion. Any help would be appreciated. :?

jeepsr4ever
06-20-2007, 10:01 AM
We sell a cooler kit for the AMC V8 that allows a remote filter housing and a a 12" cooler. Should make a good difference in your temps. You should also think about hood vents as well. I have also seen some shrouding put over the exhaust that diverts heat under the tub.

keparrott
06-20-2007, 10:30 AM
I have wrapped the Exhaust header and exhaust pipe back to the cats. It certainly helped lower the temp in the cab. I ordered a pair of Hood vents 13'X5' from Summit after reading the recommendation from an earlier post. It should arrive today. :!: I will head to the E-store for an Oil Cooler Kit.

keparrott
07-04-2007, 09:30 AM
I purchase the Oil Cooler kit from Bulltear. I just noticed that my AMC Oil Filter (Wix 51258) will not fit :shock: . The Threads on my Oil filter are larger than the threads on the Oil Filter Relocation adapter :-| .
Did you ship the wrong adapter?
If this is the correct adapter. Can you recommend the Oil filter that fits?

jeepsr4ever
07-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Fram PH8A or equivalent fits that filter housing.

keparrott
07-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Appreciate the quick reply. :sa: The Wix Filter equivalent for Fram PH8a is 51515.

runnamuck
07-09-2007, 05:01 PM
napa gold 1515 or napa nascar select 91515 or napa proselect 21515

best, better, good

gold line is the same as wix, but all are made by wix.

Mudrat
08-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Fram PH8A or equivalent fits that filter housing.
I can't believe you said FRAM!!!!

76-cj7
08-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Personally i didnt care for the wix on my heep.....itr would drain the oil back into the bottom end and took too long for oil pressure to build on start up.................my choice would be to go with Mobil 1 filters........and soon as the lil 304 fires pressure jumps right up! Seems the anti-drainback valve in the wix and fram dosen't hold as well as the Mobil filter.......anyone else run into this before?

ironman_gq
08-21-2007, 11:02 PM
used to use proflow till they quit carrying them then went to Microguard seem to work pretty well I also like WIX

keparrott
08-22-2007, 07:18 AM
"my choice would be to go with Mobil 1 filters........and soon as the lil 304 fires pressure jumps right up!"

Appreciate your input. I started out with Fram with ~ 4sec. pressure delay. Now, went with the Forums recommendations and changed to Wix with ~ 3sec. delay. Not happy with either. :sad1: I will try the Mobil 1 filter next Oil/Filter change.

76-cj7
08-22-2007, 07:43 AM
I wasnt happy with the wix performance myself......i tried quite a few of em and the mobil is the best choice in my opinion.....followed by the bosch and a tid bit cheaper price.......in all honesty, why put cheap ass filters on your motor??? 111!!! That'd be like putting half sewn seat belts in ur heep!!! :razz:

I had used Fram religiously in my 88 XJ cherokee and it would make a lil bit of rattle until oil pressure climbed when i would start it......i always figured it was just lifters being a high mile motor :-| ........................nope sure werent them lifters at all....Fram filter would drain back into the block and dry start everytime, I finally put 2 and 2 together and realized what had happend after my oil pump took a crap and destroyed my bearings. :(: I have got to say with the mains and rods a knockin i couldn't throw a rod in the ol bitch...........so i gave up and yanked the motor cause gas is too darn expensive 8)

Bulltear Ad