PDA

View Full Version : 390 rebuild

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Leadbut
06-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Well it all started as a Cam/ lifter replacement on my '69 390.I was going to replace the cam with a stock sized replacement.

Then I started thinking why not a little more aggressive. Then I thought how about better heads, etc, etc...

Now I have the motor out of the car, and pulled apart. Some freshly rebuilt late model heads ready to go. I'm just about ready to start reconstruction, and I don't want to forget anything.

The motors going back into a '69 AMX 4speed 3.15 rear gear (I'm thinking of switching to 4.11)

1.What oiling mods are needed? (I’m going to do the lifter
valley bypass)
2.What size push rods do I need to use?
3.Do I reuse the original intake manifold or a '70 up?
4.If I use a '70 and up will it need to have machine work?
5.Any recommendations for a cam?

Thanks

tufcj
06-20-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm running a 69 390 with 70-up dogleg heads.

To run the newer heads, you need the step dowels in the block to position the heads correctly.

You can run the stock diameter pushrods, but I had to go .100" longer to get the rocker geometry right (with roller rockers).

I run a 69 R4B manifold, but the 2 center holes on each side needed to be slotted for the 70-up heads. I don't think you can slot the cast iron manifold. You can use the 70-up manifold, but it may need to be machined slightly because of the shorter deck height on the 69 block.

I'm running a Crower "street beast" cam, 284HDP (#45243). I've only got about 100 miles on it, but I'm pretty pleased with the performance.

Bob
tufcj

Dusty
06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
that is a fun cam isnt it i had that in one of my 401's granted its a 401 but not much different worked well in a cherokee chief.

was setup with the r4b mild port match little clean up on exhaust ports.....

tufcj
06-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Seems like a good cam so far.

I'm running 1970 291C heads, 3 angle valve job (stainless valves) with mild porting and gasket match. Balanced bottom end with Ross forged pistons (about 10.1:1). R4B with Edelbrock 750 carb, Hooker super comp headers thru full 2.5" exhaust with x pipe. Auto trans (M12) with a ~2200 stall converter and 3.73 gears in the rear. It roasts the tires very easily in first, and chirps second.

Bob
tufcj

Leadbut
06-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the Info.

How does the Crower Cam compare to the stock cam?

If I put a bigger rear gear in (4.11) do I need a cam that builds power higher up in the RPM range?

Anybody know how much to trim off a '70 up intake manifold?

A friend (who is known to do dumb things) suggested that i drill holes in the lifter valley floor and ream out the oil drain holes to help oil return, any body tried this?

I use the car for occasional commuting, blasting around town and pissing off the neighbors (oh yeah, and the wife).

Thanks

Bulltear Ad