PDA

View Full Version : exhaust brake on a 360?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

killahxft_jeep
06-22-2007, 01:59 AM
I picked up an AMC 360 from someone.. unsure of it's year of origin (have'nt decode the engine block or heads yet, still cleaning it up) but I did run across one thing while removing the old intake & air pump crap that I'll no longer be using in my CJ5... and on the passenger side just after the passenger side exhaust manifold there is a buterfly valve with a spring on the exhaust.. possibly to restrict the exhaust flow.. but I cannot understand why this is only on the passenger side.. can someone tell me why this was on this 360? It's from a fully loaded waggy.. thats about all I know. thanks

gschuld
06-22-2007, 06:54 AM
It messed with my head too when I first saw one. The idea behind it is when the engine is first started the heat sensitive spring(just like a choke spring on a carb) holds the valve closed on the left side exhaust manifold. This forces nearly all the exhaust from that side of the engine to run through the intake manifold heated crossover passage under the carb throat and out the right side manifolds. This is done to use the exhaust heat to heat up the intake manifold area under the carb to get it up to operating temperature faster for a quicker warm up. This way the choke on the carb won't have to stay open as long waiting for the intake to heat up. When the heat builds enough, the spring heats up and opens the valve, allowing the full flow again. Long story short...it saves you 5 cents worth of gas everytime you fire the engine up (from cold)because the choke doesn't get used as long.

1980_Cj7
06-22-2007, 08:56 AM
I saw something weird on an old Wagoneer when we were getting some alternator brackets. It appeared to be some kind of pump located on the driver's side near the power steering pump. Didn't have time to figure it out though.

jeepsr4ever
06-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Smog pump

1980_Cj7
06-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Smog pump

Don't think so. I've had several vehicles with AIR pumps, and it didn't look like them. I'm thinking it sat back behind the steering pump, but then I'm trying to think how it would have been driven. To tell you the truth, I don't even recall if it had a pulley and belt. All I recall is it had a reservoir and hoses. My curiousity is so peaked that I'm almost tempted to go back and look at it again.

Maybe it was a rare prototype factory flux capacitor or something.

killahxft_jeep
06-22-2007, 10:44 AM
again.. sounds like a smog pump.. I hve just never seen that valve on an engine..

Is there a delete pipe piece to go in it's place so I don't have exhaust leaks?

fuzz401
06-22-2007, 11:54 AM
look like this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/fuzzgremlin/cj%20PS%20-%20gas%20-%20cam/airguard.jpg

jeepsr4ever
06-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Smog pump

Don't think so. I've had several vehicles with AIR pumps, and it didn't look like them. I'm thinking it sat back behind the steering pump, but then I'm trying to think how it would have been driven. To tell you the truth, I don't even recall if it had a pulley and belt. All I recall is it had a reservoir and hoses. My curiousity is so peaked that I'm almost tempted to go back and look at it again.

Maybe it was a rare prototype factory flux capacitor or something.

Sounding more like a flux capacitor now that you mention it :idea:

BREK
06-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Maybe a remote resivor (spell Check) for the p/s pump?

1980_Cj7
06-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Fuzz, your pics aren't working and I'm dying to see them.

Soylent_Green
06-22-2007, 06:02 PM
I saw something weird on an old Wagoneer when we were getting some alternator brackets. It appeared to be some kind of pump located on the driver's side near the power steering pump. Didn't have time to figure it out though.

They didn't put hydroboost brakes on any of those did they?

1980_Cj7
06-22-2007, 06:13 PM

They didn't put hydroboost brakes on any of those did they?

Don't know, but I have two vehicles with hydroboost, and in fact did a write up on JU and the installation instructions for Vanco when I put the hydro on the CJ-7, so I'm real familiar with that, and it wasn't that.

I might have to go back and look closer and take some pics just to satisfy my curiosity. The vehicle didn't appear to have been modded, so I'm assuming it was something stock.

redneckjeeper
06-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Killahxft_jeep, gschuld hit the nail right on the head, :!: his explaining that butterfly in the exhaust is probably the best way to explain its operation. And there is not a delete part to go in its place, all you will have to do is shorten the exhaust studs and put the exhaust donut (gasket) on the pipe and mount it right to the exhaust manifold.. These exhaust butterflys were a very popular used on the older chevys and did do there job until the spring broke and would always flap and make noise when the engine was running. In all my 35years of working on vehicles I have probably removed 100's of them because of broken springs or the butterfly would stick closed or stay wide open.. :t:

1980_Cj7
06-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Killahxft_jeep, gschuld hit the nail right on the head, :!: his explaining that butterfly in the exhaust is probably the best way to explain its operation. And there is not a delete part to go in its place, all you will have to do is shorten the exhaust studs and put the exhaust donut (gasket) on the pipe and mount it right to the exhaust manifold.. These exhaust butterflys were a very popular used on the older chevys and did do there job until the spring broke and would always flap and make noise when the engine was running. In all my 35years of working on vehicles I have probably removed 100's of them because of broken springs or the butterfly would stick closed or stay wide open.. :t:

Yeah, I always knew them as "heat risers". Used to wire them open because like redneckjeeper said, they'd always rust and stick. Their job was to send hot exhaust up thru the intake manifold crossover to help warm up the engine. They had a thermostatic spring that let them open when it got so hot.

Fuzz, definitely not an Air Injection Reaction (AIR) system like shown in your picture. It was located up high, at least as high as the steering pump, and to the rear and further toward the driver's side from it.

ironman_gq
06-25-2007, 02:04 PM
not an old style A/C pump is it? 111!!!

tufcj
06-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Since the exhaust on my Jeep was built with the heat riser in place, I took it out, cut the butterfly out with the torch, then filled the holes with a touch of weld. Worked better than modifying the pipe.

When I had the exhaust redone the last time, I did tell them to leave it out.

Bob
tufcj

1980_Cj7
06-25-2007, 03:12 PM
not an old style A/C pump is it? 111!!!

Nope, this particular Waggie had the York A/C compressor still in place over in the usual place on the passenger side. That's why we picked it, because we needed the alternator brackets from a V8 with a York.

1980_Cj7
06-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Well, just got back from the junk yard. I was all excited about scoring that Flux Capacitor. Boy do I have egg all over my face! Turns out it is indeed an AIR pump, and it isn't even where I was describing it. It was right under the steering pump. In all fairness, I wasn't really looking at it the last time, but was preoccupied with other things.

I really went back tonite for the double pulley on the steering pump. More on that in my new post...

killahxft_jeep
06-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Since the exhaust on my Jeep was built with the heat riser in place, I took it out, cut the butterfly out with the torch, then filled the holes with a touch of weld. Worked better than modifying the pipe.

When I had the exhaust redone the last time, I did tell them to leave it out.

Bob
tufcj

that's my plan.. just hope my welds can hold.. i don't have a stick welder with the right rods to weld cast.... just a tiny mig welder..

1980_Cj7
06-30-2007, 03:08 AM
You could always just fill the holes with RTV. I know the red won't burn or melt, and there's the copper kind too. Don't know how JB Weld would hold up to the heat.

Or, you could maybe tap the holes and run short stubby bolts or plugs in to seal them.

I seriously doubt the MIG will work, but you could always take the heat riser to someone with the right equipment to weld it also.

Goose
06-30-2007, 09:58 AM
This actually belongs in the hacks section.. but I welded up the air holes on an exhaust manifold with a 110 volt mig... I just kept "blipping" it.. till I filled it in. dont get it hot, it has held up several years, but it's not the right way and if you can swing the 20 bucks or so have a pro do it right.. 111!!!

socks
07-02-2007, 01:13 PM
that pump is definetly for emissions from what i can tell. there was one on my 90' 360 but i had a 78 304 sitting beside me and anything it didnt have, i didn't need either 8) so i took the pump off and any sort of emissions bullshit.

as for welding the manifolds, i thought about doing it but figured the weld would expand at a different rate as the manifolds and could cause problems. i have this motor in a comanche so room is really tight, if it were to crack and leak i would have to take the whole motor out again.

people here in ontario canada basically give amc stuff away for free so i got a set from an older AMC without the holes from the pump.

1980_Cj7
07-03-2007, 08:34 AM
He's talking about knocking the damper out of the heat riser, and filling the holes from the shaft, not the holes in the exhaust manifold for the AIR system.

On the V8 exhaust manifolds though, while we're talking about it, the holes have a common bolt thread. I think it might be 9/16" fine thread if I recall. I just ran short bolts in ours to block them off.

Bulltear Ad