PDA

View Full Version : engine casting codes

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

killahxft_jeep
06-25-2007, 01:23 AM
I'm trying to figure out exactly what year, and what type heads this engine has.. it's a 360 as per the "360" in the casting between the two casting plugs on both sides..

on the rear drivers side near the top bellhousing bolt is:

3195528X (web) 2 (web) H

on the heads is:

in the intake valley is:

360 237 86 2

and all over are small cast tags that say 86 on the heads and block, does this mean my block is an 86? or am I fooling myself that it's that simple? I know the engine is out of a grand wagoneer.. just want to find out the specifics on this particular engine.. I know waggys were built from 63 to 91..

also on the first counterwieght lobe of the crank (closest the timing cover) there is a space that has been de-burred and a tag is stamped on the lobe.. I'll have to get the numbers/letters off tha later, could this engine have been rebuilt? what numbers should I look for on there? I ask because although this engine was said to be a DD.. there is next to NO wear on the piston skirts & cylinder walls...

tufcj
06-25-2007, 07:38 AM
The last 1 or 2 digits of the year are SOMETIMES cast in the lifter valley and heads. You're probably correct that you have an 86 block and heads. The 528 block casting was 360/401 from 70-up. The 344 heads are standard 79-up bridged rocker heads.

I think 86 was the first year that the blocks had freeze plugs in the rear, under the flywheel/flexplate.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad