PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Timing with aftermarket parts

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

halflifesw
06-26-2007, 09:23 AM
I need help setting my timing, I'm going to contact Edelbrock and Mallory to see what they think but I wanted to see what everyone else here thinks I should do. Here's the application:

1969 AMC 390
Edelbrock Torker Intake Manifold
Carter AFB 4bbl
Mallory HEI Distributor

The book says TDC for stock. I'm having trouble dialing in the carb and I think its a timing issue. Please help, thanks.

tufcj
06-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Is the engine stock or modified? I have to run my 69 390 about 10-12 degrees advanced to get it to perform decent. I think the TDC spec from the book was for emissions requirements.

Bump up the timing until it either pings under load, or it starts hard, then back down a couple of degrees.

Bob
tufcj

jeepsr4ever
06-26-2007, 10:30 AM
You cant use factory timing when you start to change around carbs if your trying to get the power out of the motor. Tuning the carb and the timing together is the only way. Feel free to advance your timing.

1980_Cj7
06-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Bump up the timing until it either pings under load, or it starts hard, then back down a couple of degrees.

Bob
tufcj

I might add one more thing to the list above...until it starts to run hot.

Our 401 was running hot, but when we backed our timing down from 10* to 5*, it is now running about 20 degrees cooler, and rarely gets above 200 unless it is 95 degrees plus outside and we are running down the highway or pulling hills. Then it only goes to about 210.

halflifesw
06-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Alright thanks for the tip. I've never really timed or dialed in a motor before. I'm trying to get the thing to start nice and keep running, haha

Bulltear Ad