PDA

View Full Version : Steering Pump Belt Slipping

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

1980_Cj7
06-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Just got back from the junkyard. Needed a double pulley for the steering pump. I knew right where one was, but of course they were closing in 15 minutes, then I discovered I didn't take enuff tools/the right tools along, and couldn't get it anyway. Couldn't get the socket wrench between the puller and the radiator, and forgot a wrench to hold the body of the puller. I hate when that happens! I'll be going back in the morning.

The one we are running has two different diameters, and we are using the smaller one because that's the one that lined up. We also thought that would be good in that it would have the pump spinning faster at the low engine speeds of rock crawling. Made sense, but...the smaller diameter pulley apparently isn't giving enuff belt contact, and with the high output pump, under load, the belt slips.

We were advised it would be good to run a double belt even, but the only way to do that would be to lose the double belt on the alternator and A/C compressor. Don't know what produces more of a load, the compressor, or the steering pump, so I'm not sure what side to put the double on. We have hydroboost brakes also so the pump gets quite a load.

https://home.comcast.net/~rwsr50/ComcastOnlineStorage/401homecoming_022.jpg

tufcj
06-29-2007, 06:47 PM
I run a single belt on mine with an AGR pump. The only time it has ever squealed on me is when the tire was wedged in some rocks, and I was literally jerking on the steering wheel with both hands.

The small pulley was used to run the smog pump, I don't really know if you'd gain much from spinning it faster. You might even generate too much heat.

Get the same size double pulley, and if it's an older unit that has the metal plate behind the reservoir with the square hole for a 1/2" drive breaker bar, grab that too. Those are worth their weight in gold for tightening the belt. That's what I have on my Jeep.

Bob
tufcj

1980_Cj7
06-30-2007, 03:15 AM
Yeah, tightening the belt w/o that square hole is definitely a hassle. Forgot about looking for that plate. Thanks for the reminder. I have another pump with the square hole, but if I remember right, it is built into the mount somehow, not a separate plate.

I'm going to nose around and look for some kind of remote reservoir while I'm in the junk yard too so we can lose that stupid radiator hose. I'm thinking I could "T" a remote reservoir into the return line right there at the pump.

Ours only squeals when you apply the hydroboost brakes REAL hard, or have the steering turned all the way to the stop. It does it enuff though that we have "belt dust" all over the front of the nice new engine.

tufcj
06-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Why a remote reservoir? Even with Hydroboost, fluid level shouldn't change, except for expansion from heat. If it's overflowing or pushing fluid out of the stock cap, maybe you need a cooler. I got a nice cooler off a late model Durango, haven't installed it yet. I do run a filter in the return line, and Valvoline synthetic fluid.

Bob
tufcj

1980_Cj7
06-30-2007, 08:55 AM
We have a big cooler already. When we first installed the system, we were having trouble burping it. No matter how full we made it, it would draw down when you started it up and suck air. Hence the radiator hose. I don't know if all the air is out and it would no longer be a problem, but we just always felt safer keeping the hose on.

I did find a super nice remote reservoir, by the way, off a Ford Econline Van. Cleaned it up and painted the bracket. Pics when the install is done.

Guess what I forgot AGAIN though...the adjuster plate! Remembered half way home!!! Even had a reminder note in my pocket I forgot to read.

Goose
06-30-2007, 09:54 AM
I wonder if a guy might be better off looking for a pump/reservoir unit off a Gm diesel pickup with hydroboost..could be you are under pumped (is that even a word?)

1980_Cj7
06-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Well, this is an aftermarket pump by Durex that has had the pressure boosted.

In thinking more about this remote reservoir...
I was planning on "T"ing it into the return line, but I got to thinking, I'm going to have to watch the height I mount it in relation to the pump, or the pump will be overflowing out the filler neck, since there is no real way to seal that off real good. I'm thinking the full level in the remote reservoir is going to have to be at the same elevation as the full level in the pump reservoir. That way the two reservoirs will draw down evenly with the fluid seeking it's own level.

1980_Cj7
07-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Got the pulley changed on the steering pump, but now the belt won't fit. Gotta go get a longer one. This is a good thing though, all that extra length is addtional belt contact on the pulley. I'm figuring about 3" longer from what we have, but I could probably also just ask for a power steering belt for any AMC V8.

With the old small pulley, all three belts were the same, which was nice. Coulda robbed one of the double compressor/ alternator belts to replace the steering pump belt in an emergency. Oh well, just have to carry 2 spare belts now.

1980_Cj7
07-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Got the new belt and finished it up. Decided to try it with the single belt and see what happened. Works great, no more squealing, and the steering actually feels better. Maybe it's imagination, but....

We also siphoned some fluid out, took the radiator hose off the steering pump filler neck, and put the regular cap back on. Seems to be working fine like that. Looks like we won't have to put that remote reservoir on after all.

mrtazwrench
07-07-2007, 01:57 PM
I figured the longer single would work, I have the doubble same size pulley on my 82 J20, the other drives the plow pump, no issues with all this load on it.

Bulltear Ad