PDA

View Full Version : 401 FLYWEEL PROBLEMS

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

shawnsc25
07-08-2007, 09:31 PM
I have a 401 in my yj with a ford np435 and np208 combo mated to it the prblem is when i try to start it my starter is eating my flywheel it is an autolight remanufactued starter some guy told me it might be a voltage problem and some say it could be the rong flyweel the motor came out of a 76 wagoneer are there more than one flyweels for this year

im thinking of getting a mini starter will this fix my problem

jeepsr4ever
07-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Its most likely a starter issue. Their were 2 flywheels for a 401 and they both had the same spacing for the ring gear.

Rhinolined360
07-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Is your bellhousing on tight, did you use the spacer between the bellhousing and the engine. Those combined combo's destroyed my 360 flywheel. You might want to go in there and debur the teeth with a file if its looking pretty hacked up, it might buy you some time for replacing the flywheel and get rid of some of the grinding noise.

shawnsc25
07-09-2007, 06:03 PM
so do you think if i go with a mini or hi tork starter that it will solve my problem oh and the bell housing is on tight and the spacer is about an 8th in thick

Rhinolined360
07-09-2007, 09:14 PM
was it always grinding or did it just start. Has it been a week, month, year, since the install

shawnsc25
07-09-2007, 10:10 PM
2 weeks since install \when i first started the motor a couple times it had no problems it started about a week ago since i have been through 3 starters and all do the same thing they acctuate and catch the flyweel but only 3quarter of the teeth on the flywheel had all 3 starters bench tested and all worked fine so i tested the volts and they were only getting 6 when i cranked it over i think they need ten the problem may lie with the ignition set up i have because i couldent get it to crank at the key i put a push button ignition in u still have to use the key though because when u turn it to run it kills all accesories and lets all the power go to startup (so i turn key all the way and hit button)that is were i am loosing power i think oh ya and i got so frustrated with the wireing i went with a painless kit hope u guys can help im stumped maybe i have to get the ignition right

Dusty
07-13-2007, 01:49 PM
more details on your wirning setup and gauge of ground wires where they are attached and gauge of hot lead from battery to selenoid and from selenoid to starter......

AMX69PHATTY
07-13-2007, 02:54 PM
How many teeth are on the gear on the starter ? 9 Tooth ?

I bought a PowerMaster XS Mini-Starter and had problems.
Ended up finding out the starter had the wrong gear on it.
It had an 11 tooth gear, and it was supposed to be a 9 Tooth

just a wild guess

shawnsc25
07-13-2007, 07:53 PM
im using 4 gage wire frome solinoid to batt same from solinoid to starter ill get u some pics soon the solinoid is a gmc type and the ignition is hooked up like a gmc but there are still two purple wires off my ignition that i cant figure out i have an msd ignition box and msd distributor most all of my grounds are to the frame ill have to check

the starter has 9 teeth

shawnsc25
07-15-2007, 05:39 PM
so i think i figued it out i need the eleven tooth starter gear not the nine or i need a new ring gear how many teeth do u guys have on your flywheels and what is the teeth count on your starter i think my ring gear has 153 teeth?

shawnsc25
07-30-2007, 03:23 AM
so the problem was the ring gear if u get a flyweel from china i gess thats what u get so thanx for the help whent american and the prob was solved:)

Bulltear Ad