PDA

View Full Version : Pulley problem

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

blurat1
07-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi, first post here, just read about 200.
I have a 68 AMX with a 74 401. My problem is the water pump pulley looks too short, or the crank pulley is too short and we wont even talk about the power steering pump yet.
My question would be, are the crank pulleys all the same? other than number of grooves. I'm told that the 71 to 74 water pump, 4 13/16 takes its own size pulley.
I think I'll get the Bulltear alternator bracket, looks like something with several parameters, just need to know which pulley is standard, crank or water pump. And where the heck do you find a water pump pulley?
TX B

AMX69PHATTY
07-16-2007, 08:48 PM
The '68 pulleys and water pumps are different height than the '74 pieces.
I think the changeover year was 1972.
The water pumps got taller and the pulleys deeper.
You need to use all the pulleys and water pump from the '74.
Fan spacer may need to be a different height also
to get fan close enough, but not too close, to the radiator.

Also '70 and older have 3 bolts Main pulley to dampener,
'71 & up have 4 bolts main pulley to dampener.

blurat1
07-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Are the 4 bolt crank pulleys the same? The collection of pulleys I have are just that...a collection, donations that came from several different states but all are different.
Is there somewhere that sells a set of pulleys?
TX B

AMX69PHATTY
07-17-2007, 03:23 AM
I don't know exact specifics of what changed when, like is there a 4 bolt crank pulley made to work with the "early" short water pumps or if all 4 bolt pulleys were for tall pumps, only that things changed around in the '69 - '74 period.

Maybe someone else here does ? :-|

jeepsr4ever
07-17-2007, 09:28 AM
If you cant find a good used pulley you can always check out new ones in our estore. It sounds like you used a mismatched set.

Bulltear Ad