PDA

View Full Version : Amx Exhaust

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Leadbut
07-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Its past time to replace the exhaust on the '69 amx. Right now I have glasspacks with turn outs infront of the rear tires. I don't think the cops are gonna go for it.

What are my options?
What vendors?

Thanks

AMX69PHATTY
07-27-2007, 07:53 PM
I have 1-5/8 headers 2-1/2 pipes, Flowmaster 40 series, 2-1/2 tailpipes.
Tailpipes are Flowmaster mandrel bent for Mustangs and tweaked to fit
They are kinda loud but it sounds mean, depends on what ya want.
Someone I know went with Hooker Aero-Chambers and they
sounded pretty good, not as load as the FlowMaster 40's,
and they were a LOT quiter in the car's cabin.
If I remeber correctly mufflers are offset inlet and centered outlet.
One thing I don't have and wish I did is a "X" pipe fitting,
one that is to 90* elbows welded together,
not an "H" pipe style crossover.
The area of the crossover should not be too big to prevent reversion.
An "H" pipe has too large of a crossover section area
whereas the "X" pipe mad from elbows has a much smaller area.
FWIW

Leadbut
07-29-2007, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the Info.
what year mustang?

AMX69PHATTY
07-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Uh, not sure, it was like 10+ years ago. Failed to keep info.
Seems like they were for a mid to late 60's 'Tang.
I know it is a tight "hump" to get up and over the axle
and then to also miss the gas tank.
Awhile ago on ebay someone was selling stock size
AMX full exhaust kits bent from old original bend cards.
Sure would be nice to have that bend info.
I kept and still have my old 2" tailpipes that were removed
so I have some idea of the "pattern".

Here's some 2-1/4" that were recently on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-1969-1970-AMC-Javelin-AMX-Exhaust-Tail-Pipes-L-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33633QQihZ017QQitemZ2 70144085002QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

RAYMONDH
10-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Its past time to replace the exhaust on the '69 amx. Right now I have glasspacks with turn outs infront of the rear tires. I don't think the cops are gonna go for it.

What are my options?
What vendors?

Thanks

I have heedman smaller size headers not sure of the size, with 2.5 inch going thru flowmaster 40 series. i have a small H pipe right after the collectors, its close to the t 10 but if needed you can still drop the trans. i also spent $ 300 bucks and put elec cut outs that exit right in the middle of the AMX . with a flip of a swich i have open headers, its great for cruise ins , never ran the car at the strip to see if its slower or faster with open headers its just fun. the car is REAL quiet after running them open for 20 min or so.I will do this set up on every car now.http://www.badlanzhpe.com/

tufcj
10-29-2008, 07:16 AM
I had my 69 AMX exhaust built at a muffler shop. I have Hooker super comp headers, 2 1/2" "X" pipe, 2 1/2" Magnaflow mufflers, then 2 1/4" tailpipes out to stock looking stainless tips. The whole thing (from the headers back) was a little under $400. Sounds good, and I can still listen to the radio or talk to my passenger while cruising down the road (guess I AM old).

Bob
tufcj

theamxguy
05-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I have 2 1/8 primary tube headers dumping into 4 inch collectors. I bought a bunch of mandrel bent 4 inch tubing and fabbed my own exhaust using bullet mufflers. I also dumped in front of the rear tires. So far, I have gotten by with it here in TN. However, the car is insanely loud and will give you a headache, but it trapped 125 mph last time at the track (a shakedown pass, best e.t. was 11.22.).

I am going to change the system by putting an x-pipe in it and then buying a flowmaster universal 3 inch tail pipe kit, and dump it out the back of the car. I will probably leave the bullet mufflers (4 in.), but will add a second set of bullets out back.

If you have a good local muffler shop, they can often buy 2 1/2 or 3 inch mandrel bent tubing and do a custom exhaust pretty reasonably. 300-450 depending on muffler selection and tubing size.

Good luck!

Goose
04-23-2010, 08:55 PM
You know summit still lists the patriot sidepipes.. 2"inlet 3" oulet in any length between 50 and 80" and they are about 200 bucks.. with internal mufflers..(might have to put a set on my javelin)

Bulltear Ad