PDA

View Full Version : OPINIONS ON IGNITIONS SYSTEMS

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JERSEYJOE
07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
I am at the point in my build that I need to start thinking about a distributor and an ignition system. The easiest and cheapest way out is the factory duraspark set up but I am looking for a better way. I was inclined to go the complete MSD set up but I thought I would ask the experts here for opinions. by the way we are talking low compression 401, mild cam, 90% off road . I like the one wire HEI units for ease of instalation and lack of wiring. Are the MSD set ups worth the cost?

dbesade
07-29-2007, 06:07 PM
I looked at the MSD stuff but after speaking with MC a good point was brought up.. if the HEI coil goes out or something in the HEI unit.. parts are cheap.. and easy to find at any store. With MSD or the Stock stuff you may have to order it and wait for it to come in..

-Dave

jeepsr4ever
07-29-2007, 09:13 PM
HEI Joe...all the way!

CJim7
07-30-2007, 08:58 PM
TFI.
Throw a cap, rotor, and plug wires from a Ford 460cid on there. Replace the stock coil with the Ford coil, regap the plugs and run it.

dbesade
07-30-2007, 09:30 PM
TFI.
Throw a cap, rotor, and plug wires from a Ford 460cid on there. Replace the stock coil with the Ford coil, regap the plugs and run it.

This only works if he has the Duraspark ignition on it. The older 79 and older V8's have the autolite style stuff that doesn't work with the TFI Upgrade.. A.. :-|

-Dave

CJim7
07-30-2007, 10:03 PM
TFI.

This only works if he has the Duraspark ignition on it. The older 79 and older V8's have the autolite style stuff that doesn't work with the TFI Upgrade.. A.. :-|

-Dave
Very true...and all the more reason to upgrade away from Prestolite/points ignition.

I had the old Prestolite crap on my '77 401 and hunted down a duraspark dizzy for it as fast as i could :t:

jeepsr4ever
07-31-2007, 08:22 AM
The reason I dont reccomend TFI....ever is that the HEI has a hotter spark and gets rid of the stock coil, stock ignition control module and really cleans up the engine bay. TFI is like a nice meduim between the stock system and a HEI.

The PIG Smith
08-02-2007, 01:08 PM
HEI Joe...all the way!

Talk to me about whose HEI Dizzy that you would recommend?

The reason I ask, for there are several folks building these.
Some I see eBay, looks scary, some, like ZMJeeps, looks like a nice unit.

Do you produce an AMC V8 HEI unit in your shops?
Now is the time for the sales pitch! hehehe

jeepsr4ever
08-02-2007, 01:32 PM
I dont pitch but I will send you a pm

Bulltear Ad