PDA

View Full Version : Reuse head bolts with approx 10k miles?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pb
07-30-2007, 11:41 AM
I have a rebuilt 360 with about 10k miles that I have pulled and replacing the cam bearings (no oil to top end) and checking everything else over (burning coolant). I had used SS bolts on the intake that many loosened up over the past year or two. I'm not sure if that caused some coolant to leak in the engine, or if I need to replace the head gaskets and check the heads for cracks while I have the engine out and easily accessible. Question is, if I pull the heads to make sure can I reuse the head bolts, or should they be replaced? TIA

tufcj
07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Reuse the head bolts, pitch the stainless. Most low cost stainless bolts are VERY soft, probably only about grade 2 compared to a steel bolt. I would NEVER use them ANYWHERE that they need to hold a clamping force on a gasket (like the intake or valve covers). They can and will stretch and loosen with age, plus you can break them just torquing them to spec.

Your engine is assembled with grade 5 bolts from the factory (except heads, mains, and a few others which are grade 8 or better). You should always replace bolts with the same grade. There are a couple of vendors who sell nice Cad plated grade 5 bolt sets. Not quite the bling of stainless, but much less troublesome.

Bob
tufcj

pb
07-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the info on the head bolts. I have already pitched the :(: SS. Was not happy when i could loosen many up by hand.

Bulltear Ad