PDA

View Full Version : poor oil pressure on rebuilt 401

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

blurat1
08-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi, just fired my 401 last Sunday, was hard to get oil pressure at all and finally got 10 psi at idle.
Let it set till yesterday and screwed a gauge into t5he block so I could watch what went on.
Started the motor and could not get any pressure for 20 seconds so I shut it off. Removed the distributor and used a drill to run the pump..It took at least 45 seconds to pick up the oil. Reinstalled the diz and fired again, got 15 lb at idle and shot up to 42 when I revved it.
I have the Bulltear adapter with remote filter. Morroso pan and external pickup. I thought I would be smart and use the internal pickup also. So I have a pickup outside and one inside. The inside is the matched pickup for the pan s I know its into the oil .
The biggest problem right now is the oil draining off and taking so long to reprime.
Any one heard of something like this? Maybe I shot my toes using the internal pickup?
Thankx.....b

jeepsr4ever
08-23-2007, 10:50 AM
The problem is you are splitting the vaccum of the pump so its taking longer to get oil to the pump. You should eliminate one of the pickups.

blurat1
08-23-2007, 01:35 PM
I can see the logic in that. why do you suppose the oil is all draining back to the pan and losing the prime?
Thanks for the reply
b

jeepsr4ever
08-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Their could be air in the system however its hard to say I have never heard of anyone using both pickups and I suppose alot of strange things can happen when you do use both.

blurat1
08-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. I figured I would use the internal pickup along with the external. Punching a hole in my block to gain access to the stock oil galley just to run another external line seemed like too much thinking. If my external line should fail for some reason all I need to do is cap the pump and I on the road again.
I changed my pump end gasket with a known 8.5k thick one and switched to a wix 1515 filter that has an anti drain back valve.
Just ran the motor and it is holding 33 psi at idle cold.
If it doesn't drain off by tomorrow I think I'll call it good.

b

Bulltear Ad