PDA

View Full Version : rough for 1 to 2 seconds

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

1tuffcj
08-26-2007, 07:07 PM
howz it going? it's been a while since iv'e posted, been super busy. i have a question, is it normal when you don't fire up your motor for while, when you do fire it up it sounds rough for the first 1 to 2 seconds before oil gets going. even if i drive it then park it and start it 3 or 4 hour's later it does it. i do have eccellent oil pressure at first start up cold it's 65 to 70 psi then it goes to about 25 to 30 warm and rises as i'm driving it,up to about 40 psi. just wanna make sure it's not ruining anything. thanks mikey.

jeepsr4ever
08-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Whats the temp outside? What weight of oil are you running?

1tuffcj
08-27-2007, 12:40 AM
every day hawaii weather 76 to 82 degrees/ rotella t 15 w- 40, i used this during break in then changed it, putting back in rottela. the reason i used this is the tech guy at comp cam suggested it, then said i could contuinue to use it or use 10w-30 or 40. this whole oil thing messes with my mind, thanks for the help. what should i be useing with a 401 with edlebrock heads and a cam and harland sharp rocker roller's. thanks mikey. p.s. i live at sea level if that helps any, 75 percent highway and the rest will be on the beach and some mountain stuff at 1500 to 2000 ft above sea level.

Rhinolined360
08-27-2007, 07:40 AM
likewise with the oil mystery I was running mobil 10w30 now im running some fleet 15w40 only one napa had

keparrott
08-27-2007, 08:37 AM
I have a 360 with less than 10,000 miles on the engine. It has always had valve chatter at start-up, until the Oil Pressure goes up. I believe its the lifters and I figured this is normal. (Isn't it. :-| ) Once the Oil pressure comes up the chatter goes away and Motor smooths out nicely.
I run Valvoline 10w-40, but plan to change to Modil one Oil and filter to see if this helps speed up Oil Pressure.
Currently: Oil pressure 65 cold Idle, 25 warm Idle and 52 Highway driving.
Can anyone say whether this is normal and if not, what might one do?

keparrott
08-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Like to add one more thing. My cam is not stock and I have Clevite Lifters. I wonder if the Clevite lifters are not right for an upgraded Cam. Any thoughts?

ironman_gq
08-27-2007, 12:56 PM
could just be that your float bowls need a few seconds to fill up when the engine starts causing it to run a little rough. Might be a coincidence that your oil pressure takes that long to build. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

401 Pacer
08-27-2007, 11:17 PM
If the engine runs rough while the lifters are clattering, then I'd blame the lower valve lift and retarded valve timing for the rough idle.

I would suggest that the root cause of the problem be ascertained before throwing parts at it....I mean to say that whatever is causing the noisy lifters be looked at before proceeding to anything else. Bad pump, bad lifters? Bad dog! That's a new carpet!!!!!!!!!!

1tuffcj
08-27-2007, 11:58 PM
that's just it, it does'nt have a rough idle at start up. it just has clatter for 1 to 2 seconds, and when you first fire it up, it clatters fast, you know like when you fire up any rig it has a fast idle till it warms up. someone said it was the oil draining out of the hydraulic lifters, after sitting for awhile. it does'nt run rough at all, after the clatter it fricken purr's. and say i drive it to the store go in and buy something come out in say 15 minutes, it does'nt make the clatter noise. only if you let it sit for a couple hour's or over night. thanks mikey

JERSEYJOE
08-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Mikey: Just about every vehicle I have does the same thing.
I have a 2005 F-150, a 94 Lincolm Mark VIII, and a few Jeeps. All of them sit for a week at a time and all of them have that 3 or 4 seconds of lifter clatter. It's worse in winter of course. I run 5w-20 in th F-150 and 10w -40 in everything else. I also believe the culprit is lifter leakdown combined with tempeture / oil viscosity issues.

1tuffcj
08-28-2007, 11:26 AM
thanks joe, i gusse it's all normal than.

anyone heard from jeeps4ever, he asked me how it was outside and what vescoity oil. i answered him, i thaught he might have a diagnoises........

jeepsr4ever
08-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Try some lighter oil. I dont know if you have a new oil pump or not but sometimes the heavy oil can take some time to fill the gallies if the pump is worn. Rattling is NOT good on startup :shock:

1tuffcj
08-28-2007, 03:37 PM
it's a brand new oil pump and oil pump gears, when you say thinner oil, what number. right now i'm useing rottel t 15-40. nothing is old on this motor. thank you in this matter.mikey

Bulltear Ad